syria [Merged]

Rjan:

Mazzer2:

Rjan:
[…]

He didn’t practically win the election otherwise he would now be in number 10, as Winseer said some of the younger ones who were students at the last election won’t be at the next and therefore may change who they vote for, my son being an example was in his second year at the last election and voted for Corbyn as he thought if he won it would wipe out his student debt, by the next election he will be in a well paid job with the potential for high earnings and has said not cat in hells chance of him voting Labour again, I’m guessing he is not alone.

Corbyn is not primarily a youth or student movement, although it has that component. As I said, he has increased the support for Labour substantially across the entire working-age range. And for obvious reasons, whilst some students will get older, new ones are being produced.

Your son may be the minority, but the majority of graduates are not going into “well paid jobs” - mostly they are going into average jobs that are under sustained attack, and many are going into substandard jobs - and in a democracy it will always be the circumstances of the majority that determine elections. And the fact that your son has done such a volte face in as little as a year shows that there is no reasonable concession that Corbyn can make to attract such people, and there’s no point him trying to do so at the expense of his left-wing support and enthusiasm.

As I say, in terms of the actual demographics, the Tories have a bulge of support amongst a specific generation (the bulge broadly maintains it’s shape but gets older each year). Once that bulge goes - as it must, since they are already in their 70s and 80s - the Tories will be wiped out (or be forced to completely revamp).

As a point of curiosity, has your son actually turned to the Tories in their current state?

He will more than likely vote for whoever gives him the best deal or no one if he feels there is no none in his corner as such, but it is unlikely to be Labour, and while not all graduates go into high paying jobs a large number do, mainly those who took degrees in meaningful subjects rather than those who felt they had to go to uni and took a soft subject. As an example Lidl’s graduate scheme starts off at £40,000 a year and there are plenty more schemes such as Lidl’s for those with the right degree