Tread Mill Test ETT Specifications

I recently had to undergo a treadmill test for the purposes of regaining my HGV Licence following a heart attack. Prior to the test i tried to gain information about what the test involved , i wanted to obtain the specifications so that i could take them to the local gym well in advance and prepare myself and also to give me an indication of whether i would find it difficult . Despite reading all the posts i found about the test none of them stated the specs , so in order to help others here they are

Its a three stage excercise

Stage 1 - 3 minutes at 1.7 miles per hour at a gradient of 10 %
Stage 2 - 3 minutes at 2.5 miles per hour at a gradient of 12 %
Stage 3 - 3 minutes at 3.4 miles per hour at a gradient of 14 %

The test is continuous with no breaks and will be curtailed and stopped before the scheduled finish at the request of the participant or the request of the medical advisor present. The general rule of thumb is that a failure to fully complete the test will result in the failure to obtain licence although this is not set in concrete.

During the test you are allowed to hold onto hand bars and side rails to prevent you falling of the treadmill and in my opinion these certainly assist you .

Hope this helps

tamarman:
I recently had to undergo a treadmill test for the purposes of regaining my HGV Licence following a heart attack. Prior to the test i tried to gain information about what the test involved , i wanted to obtain the specifications so that i could take them to the local gym well in advance and prepare myself and also to give me an indication of whether i would find it difficult . Despite reading all the posts i found about the test none of them stated the specs , so in order to help others here they are

The test is continuous with no breaks and will be curtailed and stopped before the scheduled finish at the request of the participant or the request of the medical advisor present. The general rule of thumb is that a failure to fully complete the test will result in the failure to obtain licence although this is not set in concrete.

During the test you are allowed to hold onto hand bars and side rails to prevent you falling of the treadmill and in my opinion these certainly assist you .

Hope this helps

The numbers will fit in well with this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=42628

Here is a link to the full specification of the Bruce Protocol up to stage 10, The DVLA only want the first three stages.

Hi, very grateful for the above imformative posts.

After an attack in '08 and subsiquent retirement, my licence was due for renewal in Octber last year. I duly applied and now have been advised that I need to take the Treadmill test. They (DVLA) were a little sniffy about me not informing them of the H/A but as I explained to them, I did not drive an HGV above 7.5t after the event.

I frankly doubt that I would pass the test, although I will give it my best attempt , and will sign on at the local Gym for training. Although I think it is unlikely that I will need the full licence again, I do however have a 6.5 t motorhome that we use regularly and obviously need the C1/D1 part.

So, my question is --if I fail the test and my HGV is revoked, will it also mean the loss of the C1+e/D1+e part if it?

Your knowledge will be appreciated

John

tamarman:

Hope this helps

From my experience, it is a neccesity to hold on to the bars to stop yourself parting company with the treadmill, at highspeed, backwards.
And you forgot to mention the extra 20 seconds on the end of the test, (so they can record a full 9 minutes of data), where the machine kicks onto the next level and you get 20 seconds on hell at a fast pace :smiley:

It’s good to have the information on this test and I’ve been having a go at it today (just in case). Does anyone know what settings on a treadmill with settings going 1 to 10 and not in percentages to equal the 10% 12% & 14% gradients required for this test? I’ve got an old treadmill here which I bought off a couple who didn’t have the instruction maual, and to try it properly I need to find out what settings to put it on.

BB

Basilbrush:
It’s good to have the information on this test and I’ve been having a go at it today (just in case). Does anyone know what settings on a treadmill with settings going 1 to 10 and not in percentages to equal the 10% 12% & 14% gradients required for this test? I’ve got an old treadmill here which I bought off a couple who didn’t have the instruction maual, and to try it properly I need to find out what settings to put it on.

Try this link to work out what gradients you have already got. I had to put a block of wood under the end of my old treadmill to get up to 14% has it only went to 12% to start with.