Heart attacks & stents

I’d just loaded last Friday when I got that horrible phone call from my wife - ‘Don’t panic but…’. Turns out my Dad had been rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack. After tests, they confirmed that it was a heart attack, but a very minor one, and after the angiogram, they’ve decided that he needs a stent fitting. The doctor has said that he’s be able to carry on as before once it’s settled in, but just wondering if anybody on here has any experience of them, either directly or indirectly, and what sort of effect they have?

On the plus side (although a horrible way for it to happen), I’ve taken time over the last few days to just sit and talk to Dad, like we haven’t done for years, as we’ve both been too busy…

Gary

I have never had a heart attack but felt extremely ill a few years ago, the outcome was having 2 stents fitted.

The doctor is right, after a few weeks your Dad will be fine, as long as he takes seriously the advice given.

Don’t sit and talk though, walk and talk. :wink:

I have a 57 year old mate who had stents fitted after a heart attack and it wasn’t too long before the doctor signed him back to work driving tankers.
Hope your dad is up and about again soon, don’t let him worry, it happens to people all the time but it comes as a shock when you are told.

I had mine done after I retired and apart from two pills I take I forget all about it now.

Thanks for the speedy replies - have just been told that he’s gone down this morning for the stent - apparently the artery in question was 95% blocked, so it was quite a timely warning! He’s the most relaxed I’ve seen him - he tends not to let things get to him, it’s me who does the panicking for both of us!

They’ve said 28 days of light activity, then crack on as before. He’s already planning his next holiday, so he’s not in the slightest concerned!

Thanks again

Gary

Its not a big “op” he will be awake throughout, they go in through a leg artery in the groin beleive it or not, and all I felt was a little pushing and pulling in that area. :blush:

My dad had a major heart attack many years ago his heart stopped for 8.5 min ( he did put something on here about it ) he lived another 17 years after although he did listen to what the Dr said eat well exercised a bit so not to much of a prob

A feiend had a stent in is heart when age38 he slowly started going out with his dog to walk it took him a while to build back up but he has & still takes dog out a few times a day for approx 30 min at a time

Another mate had a mild heart attack earlier this year ( he is a train driver ) had a stent put in his heart went back to work last week ( he did stay off as long as poss mind :wink: ) on light duties for now although he is fine looks well given up smoking

As Chas has said he need to take notice of the Dr & what they tell him

If you can find a copy of "The heart attack recovery " book it is worth it has a lot of info & help in there soz cant remember the author

Well, he had his stent fitted yesterday, and apart from feeling a bit tired (kept getting woken up in the previous night), and a bit sore, he’s feeling great. All being well, he should be home later today.

Thanks for the tips & support everybody.

Gary

One more thing, your Dad may be put on Beta Blockers, these stop the heart from beating too fast.

They will not affect his day to day stamina but if faced with a long flight of stairs or running for a bus :laughing:

he may find himself limited.

All the best for the future.

im glad he had the stent fitted

a very very good friend of mine was rushed in to hospital last month with a suspected heaert attact the docs said he had to have a stent fitted but just as they were discharging him and booking an appointment for it to get done he got a blood clot and the atrery more or less exploded and he died

R.I.P MARK

if you have any pains around the heart area please see a doc asap
mark woudnt and if he did he would still be here now

I got that dreaded call about my dad while I was away
He was 77 at the time same thing needed stints away he went got them put in through his leg artery that was two years ago .He had to take it easy for a while afterwards but eventually got back to himself,was told to stop smoking ,start walking ,exercising
He was a lorry man himself ,still smokes,does some walking,still up and about.
He got a check up lately he still healthy blood pressure normal etc .
Does not remember me sometimes but that’s a different story.
Your dad will be fine, get we’ll soon.

I had several heart attacks 16 years ago and it really did not look good for a while but it was a massive wake up call to my life style smoking (40) a day greasy breakfasts and no exercise well I’ve changed all that and 10 years ago they fitted 4 stents into my heart and it has made an awful lot of difference to me I took my class 2 Just 2 years ago(aged 62) after undergoing very stringent tread mill test with a cardiologist who gave me a clean bill of health to go on and take it,the tread mill test is the same for all 30 or 62 still the same it’s called the BRUCE PROTOCOL test anyway long story short I’m on the road tramping and not sat at home vegetating and watching Jeremy Kyle and low life giving it their all on TV and do not plan to retire for another couple of years. What it has taught me is to do things in moderation.

Hi , i am 53 and had a heart attack in July 2012 , i then had 4 stents fitted before i was released. Since my release i have quit smoking . lost 2 stone, taken up excercise and passed the treadmill test to enable me to return to HGV Driving. Its a life changing event but not the end , take advice and be patient and it could be worthwhile

i had a heart attack whilst having stents fitted i have 2.first thing i did was gave up being a night driver it does you no good and plenty harm.you cant make money when your dead.i still love driving i do part time agency work now and am happy with that.your health comes first before some employer who cares not a jot.i took it as a warning i was lucky to get another chance tell your dad to take it easy from now on goodluck

I had stents fitted last year. British heart Foundation will give your dad loads of literature to help with his eating habits.My prob is that I get acute muscle pain in the neck & shoulders which I thought was due to the Brit climate but I met a guy last week that had been thru the same experience. To cut the story short; The doctor will give you cut price statins -pink ones -with bad side effects like muscle pain , loss of energy ,insomnia & depression. Every time you see the doctor or go to Boots to collect the prescription the question is always.‘Do you get any pains?’ I didn’t twig because I thought it was a price worth paying to keep breathing.Anyway if you tell the doctor you are not getting on with the pink perils he will upgrade you to the more expensive & improved white statin pills.I see the doctor next week & get them changed. Hope your dad takes action in a shorter time than it took me, but they will try it on to save a few bob.
PS. With the pink ones you are supposed to take a supplement drug which is expensive & sold in Holland & Barrett.But they don’t tell you that.

These are some of the side effects which vary from individual to individual .They state ‘When taken with other drugs.’ - after a heart attack you always take 'em with other drugs…loads of 'em.

telegraph.co.uk/health/healt … lator.html

havet:
I want to share a useful tip for fresh and glowing skin use alouvera gel two or three times in a day. Apply the gel and wash it after 10 minutes…use it regularly you will get outstanding results.

LOL!! This strikes me as the funniest quote of the year!
On the serious side I once ran out of detergent in my washer bottle so I filled it up with apple scented shampoo - that horrible concentrated apple odour got in the air vents & penetrated my cab for months!So be careful what you do with the above quoted product.

Chas Malthouse:
Its not a big “op” he will be awake throughout, they go in through a leg artery in the groin beleive it or not, and all I felt was a little pushing and pulling in that area. :blush:

They also go in through the wrist, I had my angiogram done through my wrist, unfortunately they couldnt fit stents, but I wasn’t as immobile afterwards as I would have been if they went in through my groin. I had to wear an inflatable ■■■■■■■■ my wrist for 24hrs, inflated to a set pressure to press against the artery and stop any bleeding, but was up on my feet within hours of going back on to the ward, unlike those who had been done through the groin, who had to lay in bed and rest.

Met that guy again that changed his statins…he tells me the white pills are giving him the same side effects.