Just had my licence revoked

Hi ive recently joined as ive now got some time on my hands. About a month ago I had my first ever seizure, im glad to say I wasnt driving at the time. Any way I informed the dvla and they revoked my car/bike licence for 6 months and my HGV licence for 5 years. I was interested to know if any body else has had theirs revoked ? And if so how long did it take to get back and how did you do it ? Any information would be welcome. Not that it matters but im only 36. Thanks John

Can’t help you with advice, but very much sympathise with your plight! Good luck for the future and let us know how you get on.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

EastAnglianTrucker:
Can’t help you with advice, but very much sympathise with your plight! Good luck for the future and let us know how you get on.

+1

Whats a seizure? :confused: 36? :open_mouth:

Same as above? Never heard this before??

pavaroti:

EastAnglianTrucker:

+1

Whats a seizure? :confused: 36? :open_mouth:

Thanks for the welcome. In my case it was seeing a bright light that slowly took over my vision, i then went rigid. I dont really remember, but lucky for me my wife was with me, she phoned an ambulance. I spent the night in hospital had loads of tests including brain scans, all came back clear they said im in really good general health. The consultant said it happens to 1 in 50 people so beware.

It’s a hell of a blow. If it were me I would give up the idea of truck driving alltogether and start looking and training for a new career.

1 in 50 sounds pretty high.

Good Luck whatever you do

A seizure is the physical changes in behavior that occur after an episode of abnormal electrical activity in the brain.
The term “seizure” is often used interchangeably with “convulsion.” Convulsions are when a person’s body shakes rapidly and uncontrollably. During convulsions, the person’s muscles contract and relax repeatedly. There are many different types of seizures. Some have mild symptoms and no body shaking. Epilepsy is another name for them.

Good luck wizzy hopefully you will not have another or medication will control them so that you are able to get back driving.

Thanks again for the support. I really do love driving even on the bad days, so would hate to think i could never do it again. Im hoping when my normal licence comes back that i still have the 7.5t entitlement C1. At least that would be something. I dont fancy driving a fork lift truck for the next 5 years. :grimacing:

For a government website the DVLA actually has a lot of useful information regarding medical stuff on their website.

You will basically need to be symptom free for a certain period of time before you get it back. Though the exact duration I don’t know, best to get on the website.

One thing important to note with the medical conditions and the DVLA… It is always FAR better to surrender your licence, rather than allow it to be revoked. I don’t know why this is, but there is apparently a difference. A friend of mine hasn’t been able to drive for a while due to a similar thing, and he is always going on about this particular thing.

Sorry to hear about it, all the best.

WildGoose:
For a government website the DVLA actually has a lot of useful information regarding medical stuff on their website.

You will basically need to be symptom free for a certain period of time before you get it back. Though the exact duration I don’t know, best to get on the website.

One thing important to note with the medical conditions and the DVLA… It is always FAR better to surrender your licence, rather than allow it to be revoked. I don’t know why this is, but there is apparently a difference. A friend of mine hasn’t been able to drive for a while due to a similar thing, and he is always going on about this particular thing.

Sorry to hear about it, all the best.

I did inform them straight away with all the forms, so hopefully that will work in my favour. Ive had some sleepless nights since this has been going on, so ive looked at their web site to help send me to sleep lol. Again im very grateful for the reply.

hard luck mate!
where did you say you worked ? :smiley: :smiley:

seriousley, hope things work out for you

Best wishes mate.

Gutted for you fella :frowning:
You still sound v.positive after this so hats off to you and good luck in your future ventures matey :slight_smile:

Good luck for the future mate.

All the best, hope you get your licence back asap.

KiLty:
Gutted for you fella :frowning:
You still sound v.positive after this so hats off to you and good luck in your future ventures matey :slight_smile:

It may sound stupid but I was more concerned with losing my licence than I was about being ill. I knew what was coming when I told the doctor in the casualty department. There I was lying there with my wife and family round the bed, she thought I was a gonna, and all I could do was jabber on about losing it. Work have been great, I go back next week, Its a small distribution company moving our own goods, they are going to see me alright untill im sorted. Worst part is I drive a brand new scania p series, or at least I did my mate has it now. Ive got to say im blown away by the well wishes, I only came on looking for advice not sympathy, but thank you all very much for the support. Ive 2 more brain scans to go at the end of this month, once they come back clear im full steam a head (fingers crossed). Many thanks. John

Hi Wizzy,
My experiences:
Do not have an LGV licence but car plus C1.
30 years ago I had a seizure.
Lost licence for a year and got it back.
Every 3 years I had to reapply for a new licence, completing a medical questionaire.
After about 6 reapplications, I was told I could have my licence back without reapplication, as long as I rescinded my entitlement to C1 (which I did).
My seizure was a full one, yours does not seem to have been treated as such because of the 6 month suspension.
3 years ago I had another 2 seizures informed DVLA, had licence revoked.
The difference on surrender and revocation, (I think) is you have to reapply after revocation, where as if you surrender DVLA send you a reminder upon the anniversary.
If you are declared an epileptic - epilepsy is declared as a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act, meaning your employer must accomodate your condition.
BTW Action for Epilepsy are a good organisation for advice, and you may be eligible for a Disabled Railcard, and/or free bus travel in your area.
Its never good news, but it is surprising the number of people who can be affected.

I’m in a similar position Wiz.
Seizure on the way home from work, played it all by the book, surrendered my licence. Now DVLA say I can’t drive LGVs for 5 years. I can go and kill someone with a car after 6 months but it’s a politicaly motivated stitch up and theres no votes in keeping Daily Wail drivers off the roads or letting experienced drivers drive.
I know I sound bitter but thats because I AM. I have done plenty over the years to keep healthy and play by the rules and this is how they treat me.
If I had the experience over again I would discharge myself from A+E before the Quacks got to me (its not difficult, you’ll have plenty of time) and if anyone asks just say you felt faint.
DON’T let them use the word seizure, it’s instant lose your career time.
They can’t prove anything after you have left.

Best of luck Wiz.

I think in our situation our only chance of getting a livelihood back is to persuade DVLA you have had a ‘provoked’ seizure.
If anyone here has any advice on this I for one would be deeply grateful to hear it.

when i applied for my hgv licnence i wasnt allowed it due to a suspected seizure and was told i have to be free of medication and siezures for 10 years before i can apply got till novemebr next year before i can apply :frowning:

One of my neighbours had a few epileptic episodes back in 2004, he stared into space & appeared to daydream, no fit’s or convulsions but his vocational entitlement has been revoked until he can go 10 years seizure free without medication :open_mouth: , he’s only got till 2015 to go.