Bullying in schools

How far does bullying have to go before schools take direct action? There have been two nationally publicised incidents recently. What are your experiences of bullying? Were you bullied at school? Are your kids bullied? How is the best way to deal with bullies?

All 3 of my kids have been bullied and the youngest is only 5 and in her first term at “proper school” andI have moved the eldest from one senior school because he kept getting beaten up and the middle one snapped in the end and fought back
but when I went in to the school’s to try and sort it out I got little or no help
the youngest has actually been told off for being in the same area as him when they were told by another teacher to work on the same thing and they had already heard this boy saying he would like to cut her up with a knife.
so I have no faith whatsoever in the schools sorting any bullying issues out

pam

My 5 year old says he is getting bullied at school , other kids jumping on him and pushing him about so i went to the teacher and she said uhe is not being bullie its just playground frolics.

I am going to go watch them at playtime some day but dont know when.

I was bullied at school in the later years from roughly about 14-16 years because i was over 6 foor and built like a pin, i would love to see a couple of those guys now as i,m 6’6" and 18 stone, somehow i dont think it would happen if they saw me now.

Interesting topic. Bullying in schools is under estimated. I know that after all the school shootings we had over here a few years ago, it was found that bullying was a direct factor in the motive for the shootings. Years of it can have a horrible effect on kids, especially if they aren’t really strong willed to begin with. Kids are cruel, and school officials and teachers are too quick to turn their heads or pass it off as playground antics. Its the lazy and easy attitude to take. And when its not dealt with properly at the 5 year old level, by the time those kids get to be 15 its out of control, and even the teachers are afraid of or intimidated by them.

Seth was getting picked on by someone on the school bus about 2 years ago. The kid was 2 years older, but not any bigger… Seth is a big boy for his age… gotta love genetics. He’d come home crying, and it got to the point where I had to drive him to school. I tried the whole chain of command crap… first talked with the bus driver (no changes), then I went to the principals office to file a complaint (nothing done their either), so then I called the manager of the bus garage and complained to him too (he’s someone I know personally). Seth and the other kid were called in for a meeting, and supposedly had agreed to be friends. HA HA HA. The kid started it all over the next day, so Seth popped him in the face and gave him a black eye. Seth is a very passive child, has very little tendencies for violence, so he must have just snapped. I’m not one to encourage that, but I have to say, I was proud of him for standing up for himself. He tried to deal with it the proper way and it didn’t work… so he did what he had to do… and its never happened since.

I don’t think there are many people who can say they made it all the way through school without being bullied at some point. It’s way too common. It was something I lived through every day that I went to school… so I won’t put up with it with my own kids. I never had the nerve to fight back… at least mine do.

My daughter got mildly beaten up at school last week, the school have given the bullies their last warning, next time it will be the Police.
My son had the problem of other boys trying to trip him up, he’s cured them, by stamping on the outstretched foot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

My daughter goes to an all girls school, and I have never seen such filthy foul mouthed bunch of females cause as much trouble between each other anywhere in my life. The peer pressure is beyond belief! They bicker and mix between each other like a bunch of Janet Street Porter’s. The bullying is subtle, but noticable if you are not under 16. My daughter prefers to walk to school in her jumper, rather than wearing an expensive coat, because, no one else is wearing a coat like hers. The latest craze, is what I would call ‘monkey’ boots… horrible lace up kickers boots. The type that you would expect your son to wear.
OMG!!! The bickering & taunting between them if they do not have the latest !!!

Last year it was a craze on dummies (pacifiers) 13 year olds, going to school with dummies?? :open_mouth:

The point is, that I never felt as much peer pressure at her age? We have created a generation of monsters, who demand, and we somehow supply the demand.

I feel like we are being bullied by our kids sometimes. When we really to real incidences of our Kids being bullied, so often, the cause of the bullying is about the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ and the guilt we carry about it.

Lock 'em all in the cupboard with bread and water is what I say! :smiling_imp:

when I was at school they still used the slipper or cane
and no I’m not that old :laughing: :wink:
and there was very little bullying
but now since schools no longer have that option in my opinion thats when things got worse :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :imp:

pam

I was initially bullied when I went to secondary school, but I had a guardian angel in the form of the much revered head boy who lived next door to me. Being a few years older he would leave well before me, exposing me to the bullies once more :confused:
I found the answer was to single out one of the gang of bullies and get at him first, he was bigger and tougher than me but I went in with all I had and he was so stunned by my picking on him that he actually gave in and ran off with a bloody nose. Word got round of my so called fearlessness and no one ever bothered me again.
My Son is very mild mannered and was bullied when he lived in Wales with my ex wife, but he then moved back to live with me and attend a far bigger school. One night I saw a gang of bullies beating up one boy and waded in calling them a bunch of cowards, they were all around 18 years old, I took the side of the lone kid and told them that 10 to 1 was cowardess, so try 10 to 2, they went away, but word got round again and no one ever toughed my Son for fear of reprisals from me. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Give as good as you get just once and the bullying stops :angry:

runaroundtel:
How is the best way to deal with bullies?

Baseball Bat :wink:

But would baseball bats not be hurtful and offensive?

i was bullied in the first year at secondrey school until one day i flipped and smashed his head against the toilet wall. the [zb] take was that when we got sent to the deputy heads office he threatened to punch me if i was caught fighting again :confused:

need less to say it never happened again .

violence isn’t the answer but i don’t know what is ,the teachers have no powers .the kids arn’t stupid nowadays and they certanly no how to play the teachers because they get away with murder.

jon

I got my own back very quickly :stuck_out_tongue: There was a kid who always picked on my brother and when I started school he tried it with me. I hit him with a chair and his father came to see mine that evening :confused:

When the kids father saw the size of me and the size of his son, he brayed his son for being soft :stuck_out_tongue:

I was 11 and this lad was 14.

I also had a secret weapon at school which consisted of a pair of Calipers on my leg and a boot with a steel frame on the heel.

If I stood on a bullies foot and slid my caliper down his shin, they never bothered me again :stuck_out_tongue: