Child Sex Offenders - what would you do?

Ok, there is a new possible law that is being experimented with.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7612315.stm

If you want to check out if someone who will be alone with your kids then you can get info on them from the cops including whether they are suspected or on the ■■■ offenders register etc.

The ruling will be that you cannot divulge this info to anyone else :exclamation: :exclamation:

Now then, I don’t know about you folks but if I was told that a person could be a danger to kids and was local, then I WILL warn everyone else and to hell with the consequences :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

What would you do if you had the info :question: :question: :question:

I realise this may not be a popular thing to say, but I find these bits “has been previously suspected of abuse” and “an indication that the individual is showing worrying signs of being a danger to children” to be against everything the British judicial system has ever stood for.

Child abuse is an emotive and serious problem that needs to be tackled, but when did we do away with the principle of “innocent until proven guilty”, I’m not sure about informing people of convicted child abusers though I tend to believe it’s probably a good thing in some circumstances, but informing people that someone is showing signs of “indications” of being a danger to children gives the rumour mongers a field day, I mean who will decide what constitutes “dangerous signs”, would you really want your reputation to rely on the say of an individual police officer ? I wouldn’t.

We have to protect children but we should be very wary of going down the vigilante path or giving people an opportunity to penalise innocent people in order to satisfy their own malicious or vindictive natures.

Child abuse is such an emotive subject that even normally decent people are likely to let their feeling and attitudes run wild when they believe that there’s a child abuser in their area.

ROG:
Now then, I don’t know about you folks but if I was told that a person could be a danger to kids and was local, then I WILL warn everyone else and to hell with the consequences :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

See what I mean, no word of “convicted” or “reasonable proof” or “evidence”, and so another rumour is started and another potentially innocent persons life possibly ruined :frowning:

In answer to the question “What would you do if you had the info”, I hope I would react calmly and sensibly and do everything I could to evaluate the true situation before deciding what to do about it.

Child abuse is such an emotive subject that even normally decent people are likely to let their feeling and attitudes run wild when they believe that there’s a child abuser in their area.

I agree - it evokes anger in most of us if a child has been abused.
I for one belive that there should be NO child offenders walking about either out in the street or in the prisons. Shoot them and solve the problem permanently I say . But…
what about those who have been wrongly accused?? and it CAN happen.

I know of one caseit happened to someone I knew quite a few years ago - when a little girl accused her uncle of doing things and the case went quite a way before the girl admitted that it was a pck of lies as her uncle, who was rather wealthy, had refused to buy her something that she wanted so spite had got the better of her.
THAT is worrying.
Eventually this case was dropped but mud does stick and the talk stayed around for a long time. I knew the mother of this child who was horrified that her daughter could tell such lies but the child had no remorse and thought it amusing and lapped up the attention.
I have lost contact with this family but it would be interesting to know how this kid grew up.