Major Decision

Well I went for my LGV medical which I passed no problem sent all the documents off to DVLA they soon returned some of them but not the licence called them up about a week later.

They said that because I had a blackout ant fit last year they would have to write to my Dr, I told them that they had more information then he did and more recent
but they said they could not check there computer even though this was in Jan 08 it was there policy and I have a letter from a Dr at DVLA to say that I am fir to drive and there is nothing wrong with me

At the end of the conversation the young lady said that I should contact my own Dr and when he receives the questionnaire to fax it back as this is quicker

So went to see my Dr with letter from DVLA told him the situation he is not happy with it and agreed with me it is ridiculous but agreed to fill in the questions and fax it back with a copy of there own Dr letter and a letter from my consultant which SVLA have as well if only they would check this was all done

Then the bomb shell came letter from DVLA saying that I could not have my licence upgraded and could re apply in 10m years if I so wished asd long as there were no further blackouts

Was totally gutted so did go back to my Dr who is now really nor happy and is going to write to DVLA with a very strong worded letter

So now I have to sit and re asses my life and make some decisions about what my next move is

Christ that seems harsh! :open_mouth:

I know this is not what you hoped, for, but it’s not entirely unexpected I guess. On the plus side, since you are only just applying for your first provisional then at least you haven’t actually LOST anything - I’m assuming here that you still have your previous categories. You’re also not losing a job because of it.

On a more positive note, it is worth fighting. A good friend of mine had his full HGV revoked for 10 years after a blackout caused by meningitis. It took an arguement, but he has it back now. It really was disasterous for him as he’s an Owner Driver.

I guess the moral of this whole sorry story is to never allow yourself to become so tired and overstressed in the first place in future, and be thankful that you are lucky enough to be in a position to fight now your health has returned. We’re not all that lucky.

Take care, let us know what happens.

I still have all the categories that I had before that not a problem no I havent lost my job over this

DVLA have just contradicted their own Dr and my consultant and the advice of my Dr so my Dr is writing to them along with my consultant so will now have to wait and see what happens

Hi animal, Sorry to hear that. :frowning:

However, I haven’t heard the fat lady singing yet, so there’s hope because at this point, you have your Dr on your side AND there’s an appeal process if what your Dr is doing doesn’t work.

OK, so the match went to extra time- some do, but IMHO it’s far from over yet.
:open_mouth: So, I think :arrow_right: THIS might just be a little premature… :confused:

BECAUSE

Lucy:
…, it is worth fighting.

Now get back to your corner for round 2 and come out fighting when you hear the bell. :wink:

These are the rules according to DVLA

Extra rules for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and minibus/bus drivers
There are stricter rules about health for drivers of larger vehicles. This is because accidents involving large vehicles are more likely to result in death or serious injury.
When applying for a first provisional for lorry or bus entitlement or renewing existing entitlement, you will need to have a D4 form completed by your doctor. You also need to submit a D4 if you are an EC/EEA licence holder aged 45 or over.
As well as those medical conditions already stated, you also need to notify DVLA about:
* any heart condition or heart operation
* sight in only one eye
* any visual problems affecting either eye
* Epilepsy
If you want to drive lorries or buses you must not have a liability to epileptic seizures i.e. you should not have suffered a fit of any kind, or required treatment for fits in the last 10 years.

Hi Ang, Its not ideal certainly but Lucy is right you haven’t lost out. You had a successful career as a multidrop van driver and you were bloody good at it. It shouldn’t be too difficult to find another job along the same lines which will pay the bills and count towards your time that you need to be clear of fits. I understand how you feel but what if something came to light in a few years and you find that you were misdiagnosed and you started fitting at the wheel of 44 tonnes the damage that could be done doesn’t bare thinking about. People get misdiagnosed all the time, as you know it has happened to both Lucy and I so maybe giving it a little time is not such a bad thing.

First I was NOT a multi drop van driver I have not been misdiagnosed it was me being too tired and my body shutting down if you have read any of my previous post on this as my Dr went through everything to make sure as he knew what I wanted so did my Consultant

I have a letter from a DVLA Dr stating that I did not have a blackout or fit and there is nothing wrong with me at all last time this happened was March 07

I have lost my job I am on the sick I have tried to find another job but all in vain I have done other courses to try and find work

Thanks for all the help and support

Fair enough.
:wink:
Good luck.

donkey-dog:
These are the rules according to DVLA

Extra rules for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes and minibus/bus drivers
There are stricter rules about health for drivers of larger vehicles. This is because accidents involving large vehicles are more likely to result in death or serious injury.
When applying for a first provisional for lorry or bus entitlement or renewing existing entitlement, you will need to have a D4 form completed by your doctor. You also need to submit a D4 if you are an EC/EEA licence holder aged 45 or over.
As well as those medical conditions already stated, you also need to notify DVLA about:
* any heart condition or heart operation
* sight in only one eye
* any visual problems affecting either eye
* Epilepsy
If you want to drive lorries or buses you must not have a liability to epileptic seizures i.e. you should not have suffered a fit of any kind, or required treatment for fits in the last 10 years.

Hi donkey-dog, Whilst I can’t argue with the facts you’ve posted, I would suggest that it might not apply in this case…

The main reason being:

animal:
They said that

…which doesn’t necessarily make it a fact. :wink:

My reading of animal’s post suggests that there might have been some kind of mix-up within DVLA, since the decision maker appears to have contradicted their own Dr, a hospital consultant and a GP. :open_mouth:

Presumably, the hospital consultant did some tests before making his/her mind up and writing to DVLA about it…

Maybe the DVLA decision maker simply didn’t have all of the facts in front of them at the time of making the decision, so given that this wouldn’t be the first time that somebody jumped to a conclusion, I get the feeling that this one might run for some time yet. :grimacing:

There’s also the chance of an appeal, which would get the whole lot looked at all over again…

Let’s not be too hasty eh?

Ang my advice is to fight for it as when you got your lience back the dvla did not place any restrictions on it.

Lobo Loco:
Ang my advice is to fight for it as when you got your lience back the dvla did not place any restrictions on it.

Hi Lobo Loco, that’s a fair point mate.:grimacing:

Just looking at what’s been written so far…

We know it’s a fair point because:

animal:
I still have all the categories that I had before

If this malady was in fact a fit, would the licence have been returned by now ? (I don’t know the answer to that for sure. :wink: )

Well, maybe and maybe not, but this seems quite convincing when the source is taken into account:

animal:
I have a letter from a Dr at DVLA to say that I am fir to drive and there is nothing wrong with me

Then there’s this:

animal:
So went to see my Dr with letter from DVLA told him the situation he is not happy with it and agreed with me it is ridiculous but agreed to fill in the questions and fax it back with a copy of there own Dr letter and a letter from my consultant which SVLA have as well if only they would check this was all done

IMHO, at this point in time, there’s ample evidence of the possibility of a DVLA ■■■■-up.
Perhaps the Dr’s fax will jog the DVLA system into having another look at the whole of the information they already have…

get stuck into them ang, they’ve obviously cocked up, get an appeal in.

good luck with it angie and keep fighting it, i feel 20 times better now with my problems and i thank you and the other members who have been very supportive.

all you can do is try and keep your chin up and tackle everyday as it comes with its fresh challanges. in the end the challenges will get less and less and less till one day you will wake up and there will be no challenges and you will look forward to the day ahead.

Latest

Went to see my Dr again this week and he is not happy and neither are my 2 consultants as when I first went to see them last year when I went on the sick I told them what I was lookin for no prob said he we will look at everything and " leave no stone unturned "

My Dr has sent a very strong worded letter to DVLA with a letter from the consultants as well to back him up as all the test I had took 8 mth and me at the hospital most weeks for that time to find out that I am at a low risk of

Heart Attack / Angina ( think you need a heart for them though )
Stroke
Epilepsy
Breast Cancer
Sleep Apnea
High Blood Pressure
High Pulse Rate

There is a name for what I have but cant remember it but basically it is involuntary movement or twitching apparently it is quite common but it normally happens when people are asleep especially when going into a deep sleep it just sometimes happens to me when im not asleep which is where the problem is

I have been tryin to tell people for a while now but it seems no one was listening there still not listening perhaps they never will
:wink:

animal:
There is a name for what I have but cant remember it but basically it is involuntary movement or twitching apparently it is quite common but it normally happens when people are asleep especially when going into a deep sleep it just sometimes happens to me when im not asleep which is where the problem is

Is it a little like the ‘TICS’ that tourettes sufferers get :question:

ROG:

animal:

Is it a little like the ‘TICS’ that tourettes sufferers get :question:

Sorry ROG but I have never seen this so cant comment :blush:

i have heard of this but dont know much about it :blush: :blush:

Spoke to DVLA again today, and spoke with a very nice helpful young lady who said that it was all back in the hands of the medical officer and they would be writing to my consultant again for information, even though they have it all, but if I could get in contact with her and asked her to fax all the details back it would be much quicker

So a quick phone call to my consultant and when they receive the request from DVLA they will fax it back and also post a hard copy

Although they do tell you that they try to get 80% of licences back with in 90 working days :unamused: :unamused:

Thats a reall bummber Ange.

What annoys me with the DVLA is that they say a person is not fit to drive a truck as it could be a danger but they are still allowed to drive a 7.5 with the same complaint. Presumably a 7.5 tonner would not do any harm if the driver had an ‘attack’ or blacked out :open_mouth:

Now to me you are either a danger or you aint so they should make their minds up.

Keep on to them Ange and good luck

Quite agree Wendy

But as I have stated it was my body shutting down needing some rest

I could understand it more if they had restricted my licence but they havent I can still ride a bike ( unrestricted as passed test in 82 ) and drive up to a 7.5t