Back Problems - Scania? Maybe not!

I’ve just been told I’m back on a P cab for the rest of the week, have told told HR if the back pain returns they’re gonna have to sack me as I’ll refuse point blank to drive it again. I’ve never had a bad back before in my life, drive Scania P cabs i get a bad back, come off them It goes away. Odd how regardless of how many drivers I talk to, it’s been a lot over the last few years. There’s only one has said they got this “problem” off another make of truck. Just out of interest, those of you who read this and have or had this problem, would you mind saying how tall you are? I’m 6’4" and either have to duck to see under the sun visor or have my knees up round me ears to get the seat low enough, plus the seat belt mount is too low and pulls hard down on my shoulder. One thing is for certain, the pain is one of the worst things I’ve ever had to endure.

A couple of months ago I started getting a pain in my lower back. Nothing too bad, so I thought it was a pulled muscle or something. After a couple of weeks it got worse and I was getting a numb ■■■■ too. I started to wonder if it was down to the fact that last year I started with a company with a fleet of Scanias when I drove Dafs before - and I know the reputation Scania has for back problems.

After a month I mentioned it to my boss, in case things got worse - to which he said I could change to a newer R series instead of my 4 series as another driver is leaving. Great I thought, the R’s have better seats (marginally :wink: ).

Sadly this didn’t help. Things got much worse. A couple of weeks on, I couldn’t get out of bed to go to work one Monday morning. I had excruciating pain down my left leg everytime I moved - sciatica it’s called. The cause is probably a “slipped disc” which is actually where the cartilage between your vertebrae in your back bulges and presses against your spine causing all kinds of nerve problems.

The doc says it’s probably not the job that caused it, although jumping off trailers and the occasional handball probably doesn’t help :unamused:

So I am confined to lying down all day every day - having to rely on Stautory Sick Pay :imp: and hope things get better. I have an MRI scan on Thursday to see how bad things are. Until then…

I’m bored, and I miss my wagon. I wanna go back to work! :cry:

I currently have the same problem fom my back down my left leg, i was told to keep as active as possible as this will keep the joints active and stop them siezing up. See if your doc will send you for acupuncture, works a treat for the pain.

I had this problem and was off work for months. After 2 scary MRI scans, gonad massage and physco therapy. I found the only thing that worked was hydrotherapy and light exercise.

I didnt need the knife, they encourage you to keep active although my local landlord is in bed with it and hasnt been seen for 2 months

I had a similar problem about 4 years ago so decided to pay privately. The guy i saw turned out to be a consultant surgeon and told me that the sedentary nature of the job weakens the back muscles which can lead to poor posture. This in turn creates discomfort, which people generally ease by sitting and or standing badly, this then creates further discomfort - a vicious circle.

Fortunately being in Spain, doctors dont mess about. I was given two injections - the first being short and long term painkillers, the second was right into the site of the pain in my lower back, this was hydrocortisone.

The doctor then told me to go home and not do anyhting physical for 7 days, the pain went very quickly (due to the painkiller) and within 3 or 4 days I was pretty much back to normal (due to the hydrocortisone).

Then I had a couple of sessions with the physiotherapist - he taught me how to sit in the cab correctly and a load of exercises to do whilst driving, first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.

I still do the exercises and religeously set the driving seat up correctly - it seems to have solved the problem as ive had no trouble since.

Wheel Nut:
gonad massage

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

Hold yer stomach muscles in while you breath normally, harder than it sounds, but it strengthens the core muscles, these support your back. If you do this and strengthen your stomach muscles too, you’ll get some relief. DON’T jump out of the cab or off the trailer. Make sure your guts ain’t too big and take notice of someone that’s been there, done that.

Ps, the Scania did me no harm at all.

No quick fix I’m afraid (painkillers do not count).
From now on you have to be careful with posture (sitting, standing, lying…), lifting, alcohol, do excercises (doc will show you); swimming helps as do good massages (some massageurs are more like butchers, can do more harm than good); dress up in cold and don’t jump from cab… and get good orthopaedic mattress and pillow. They are not cheap but make a hell of a difference

Oh yes, and welcome to the club…

I’ve got the MUSCULAR one - kept stopping every time it started to hurt. - big mistake but no-one told me anyhting different until about 2 years ago when I was given a ‘revelation’ which was “you cannot damage it any further” - “you will just feel pain”.
The amount of painkillers needed to subdue the pain would make me so drowsy that it is not worth it so I have now realised MY LIMITATIONS and stick rigidly to them.
I get the odd twinge and discomfort but knowing and keeping inside my limits works for me.
The only problem I now have is that I cannot do what I was experienced at (LGV driving) and can only now do LGV instructing - retrained for admin (ECDL course etc) but employers just laugh when you are about 50 with no experience.
So. here I am, unemployed :frowning: with little hope of a job :cry: :cry: because my back problem is restricting me and there is no cure :open_mouth: - oh well :exclamation: it’s just a situation I’ll have to make the most of :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My wife has a similar problem with her back (she’s never driven a Scania) ,a weak disc and she has been advised to do pilates which strengthens the lower back muscles and improves posture

Quinny:

Wheel Nut:
gonad massage

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Ken.

That is the one where the little nurse does it?

"Does this hurt love?

“Yes. Like hell I scream”

“OK, she smiles sweetly”.

"Hey! nurse, what have you stopped for? :stuck_out_tongue:

Bad news !!!
I know the problem you describe affects people in different ways, and it is this profession that causes it.
I have just had a lower disc removed, and have been off work for 14 weeks, mind you i could have gone back to work 8 weeks ago, but decided to let the missus keep me for a bit. The pain is not half as bad as it was, and i have to get motivated this week to return to work next week, ive only got to stick it out for a month, then im on holiday for 4 weeks…just got to try harder and drag myself outta bed…
The consultant told me al that jumping off of trailers, bending down over the years handballing, lifting weights that were difficult, and very bad seating in trucks, along with very bad roads, have all added to my misery…take care out there.!!!

What a timely discussion.

I can attribite my back problem to sitting down too heavily when returning to my seat (R Series Scania) after standing on the floor in my cab, This was about 4 weeks ago and has gradually got worse, to the point I now have to use a cushion whilst driving to ease the discomfort.

Been to osteopath who poked and prodded,but no good. Had X-Ray which showed spine itself is ok, so looks like a disc problem. I’ll give it another couple of weeks then I’m going back to the docs for an MRI scan (I think that’s what it’s called).

Unfortunately, I’m also in the early stages of arthritis but only affects my hands, wrists and knees, but my hands are the worst. I can cope with it at the moment with anti inflammatories, but I must look to the future and decide on a course of treatment which included a mild form of chemo, which is claimed, relieves the symptoms.

It’s not without its’ risks, so it’s a case of weighing up the pros and cons.

Sorry to go on a bit, but I have a young family, am 42 years old and the prospect of a career change may be very much on the cards.

Still, I must be positive. What do you think of my chances of becoming Sir Alans next apprentice?

pedroski:
Still, I must be positive. What do you think of my chances of becoming Sir Alans next apprentice?

apprentice.fremantlemedia.com/ :wink:

Yep I found that with 4 series seats too. Their seats are knacked in a few years so that you gradually end up sitting lower and then the lumbar support is in the wrong place. They weren’t that good brand new.

I suffered with back pain and used to get problems with my knee.I was urged to go see a chiropractor who diagnosed sublaxation of the lower spine which is caused by the disc not getting lubricated and wearing away. This causes the vertabrae to fuse, if not treated, and because your nerves travel through the spaces you can get pain elsewhere.Its common for drivers to get this so they tell you to get out stretch and turn your spine to help lubricate the disc.

Always be sure to do some stretching exercises before you do any handballing or dragging heavy pallets about if you’ve just done a few hours driving as it’s after a few hours of inactivity that you’re most likely to injure your back.

Yes you will look a bit of a prat but I learned the hard way, and as a result have 3 prolapsed discs and I’m just getting back to work after 2 years off.

I still get back pain but have you ever seen daytime television? give me the pain anyday. :confused:

Hombre:
Then I had a couple of sessions with the physiotherapist - he taught me how to sit in the cab correctly and a load of exercises to do whilst driving, first thing in the morning, and last thing at night.

I still do the exercises and religeously set the driving seat up correctly - it seems to have solved the problem as ive had no trouble since.

Any chance of giving a description of the exercises Hombre?

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Kell :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

Lostpup:
A couple of months ago I started getting a pain in my lower back. Nothing too bad, so I thought it was a pulled muscle or something. After a couple of weeks it got worse and I was getting a numb ■■■■ too. I started to wonder if it was down to the fact that last year I started with a company with a fleet of Scanias when I drove Dafs before - and I know the reputation Scania has for back problems.

After a month I mentioned it to my boss, in case things got worse - to which he said I could change to a newer R series instead of my 4 series as another driver is leaving. Great I thought, the R’s have better seats (marginally :wink: ).

Sadly this didn’t help. Things got much worse. A couple of weeks on, I couldn’t get out of bed to go to work one Monday morning. I had excruciating pain down my left leg everytime I moved - sciatica it’s called. The cause is probably a “slipped disc” which is actually where the cartilage between your vertebrae in your back bulges and presses against your spine causing all kinds of nerve problems.

The doc says it’s probably not the job that caused it, although jumping off trailers and the occasional handball probably doesn’t help :unamused:

So I am confined to lying down all day every day - having to rely on Stautory Sick Pay :imp: and hope things get better. I have an MRI scan on Thursday to see how bad things are. Until then…

I’m bored, and I miss my wagon. I wanna go back to work! :cry:

:open_mouth: Apart from the scania, that could be my story! I had an MRI Scan last Friday, bloody noisey!!! Still waiting to see the doctor to find out what is wrong because the scan makes no sense to me.
All the very best to you, I know JUST how your feeling.
Be lucky!

Very Innteresting this post - a few weeks ago my Scania had its 6weekly service, when it came back the seat had been adjusted, i couldn’t get it right again and after 2weeks my back was really aching and my left leg changing gear, and ■■■ cheek going numb. Anyway 2weeks ago i got out of bed at 6am, bent down to pick something up and my back went, i struggled into work, luckily had 5 or 6 smallish drops 1st then a 130 odd piece kitchen which we had to handball to a garage. Took us 45 min and then a 30min drive to next drop, again luckily 5 or 6 smaller drops but spread about Lincolnshire. Well i was really in agony bye now even just driving, block changing as much as i could. By 1pm i rang the office and told them i was struggling and could i have a holiday the next day Wednesday to see if Ibuprofen for a day & half would help. The next day i was struggling to move so went to Drs who advised stronger tablets (Diflonec) and 2 weeks off - i’m still new too so no sick pay for me, my note runs out on Wednesday and i feel better in myself but i know im not ready for handballing and dragging pallets never mind just driving A to B.
I’m thinking of asking for another week off tomorrow at my Drs as im on a week holiday from 26th and hoping i’m better by July 2nd but really i don’t know what to do for best, my probation runs out on July 15th im thinking they might let me go. :frowning: :frowning: