Children annexes

best wt i can think to describe it.
i live i a biggish house with a bit of land on the side , so as my girl has no chance of affording her own house i was going to have a biggish extension built on the side with bed room and bathroom upstairs and kitchen/living room downstairs , seperate front and back doors so in a scense she live next door to me but have her own pad/life .
she likes the idea/i do as we get on really well but when i talk to mates/freinds they all think its a terrible idea [ having your girl living next to you,need to completely fly the nest etc.
but i dont know any one whos actually done it, only what people think it would be like.
alot of people have mums and dads living happily in annexes so why not your kids.
just wondered had any one ever done it :question: .

It depends what age she is mate. My sister did this to my folks house as my dad’s a brickie and purpose built our six bedroom house , but when we all grew up and flew the nest, the house was too big for them, so he built a dividing wall and split the house in two. My sister now lives on one side with her hubby and 2 kids in a four bedroom house, my parents live on the other side in a two bedroom. They both have seperate entrances and the house just looks like a large semi detached now. It work great for them as they have the grandkids next door and works great for the sis as she has her own home for next to nothing!!!

You have to think about is she going to get married, have kids, move out etc, and if she does your just left with an “annex” that could just lie empty. Also if you decide to sell your place you’d have to think about her. I’d sit down and talk it over, discuss her future, what she plans to do, and also think about what you might be doing years down the line.

I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all. The problems usually come with thier partners when they get them.

Sounds like a great idea to me Ady. Its nice to know that there are still some families who get on with each other these days…if your daughters happy with it and you’re happy with it, whats the problem?? :sunglasses: :slight_smile:
And just think, when your old and grey in your zimmer frame and need looking after your daughter and her family will be able to move into your part of the house and she can shove you into the annexe !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: …no need to put you in the nursing home then, eh ■■ !!! :wink: :wink: :smiley:

I agree with Sally it could work out well and with myself having two lads that are growing fast I can fully understand your fears of them never getting on the property ladder. How old is your daughter?

Great idea, give me a call I’ll build it for you!! Mind you it would have to be out of stone :laughing:
SMc