Realisation

my dad has jus stopped doin spain n portugal n where ever else he went!he stopped this because he dint get to see much of my lil brother who is 4!the furthest he goes now is ireland!he still sumtimes does spain n that but not often! :laughing:

I think that I have a confession to make , and it has only taken me two weeks more or less to realise exactly what I done.
I am now comming upto the age of 54 next month, and since the age of 20 I have been driving vehicles of all sorts, firstly in the RAF, then in the ARMY, after witch I started doing European this I stopped two weeks ago after 22 years.
Many people who I met during my time driving often said to me how lucky I was to have such a job where I travel so much, and how does your wife deal with you being away all the time?, my reply was always the same, " well the novelty soon wears off and she gets used to it."
I realise now how much I lied, The real reason for me being away was becouse it was an escape from the financial problems I had at the time at home, it was a way of escaping and leaving the wife to deal with it all, a cowardly act I know, but now I am home to deal with it, although there is not much to deal with now thanks to the support of my wife, but surely I am not the only one who thinks that escapping up the road and leaving your problems behind is the easy way out.
I was lucky I have a good precious wife, and a good boss at the time, now I am driving a 26ton 3 axle Iveco rigid localy and will be home every night and week end, it will take some getting used to and no doubt I will have withdrawall symtoms as well. but I intend to stay where I am now and let the younger driver`s have the, Fun?
I feel better now. cheers.

I agree with you Concordia ,that going away all week is a great escape from the real world! I used to go away quite regularly all over the UK and I loved it if I had to do a week away in Scotland but when my boss shipped out all of our work outside of London I thought I would miss it but after 2 years of nothing but local home counties work I can safely say that I prefer being home every night and seeing my son grow up.That has been the best thing for me.I still miss the freedom of nights out but I wouldn’t swap it back for anything at the moment. Even when we were buying a house ,I was away in Scotland and the wife had to sort everything out.All I heard was the progress reports over the phone.So you will get used to being at home but it will take time.Enjoy the change mate.
Bryan

Hi guy’s

I know what you mean when Steve was on the sweepers (he didn’t go tramping )but the hours were long he could go at 4 in the morning and not be back until late or the times he did motorway stuff and did 12 hour shifts(sweepers are plant no tacho :open_mouth: ) he was not home much so most of it was left to me I got used to it it became easy to deal with everything :wink: then he became an O/D and was home at the time more than he was at work or so it seemed and again that took some getting used to :slight_smile: now after 3 years of him being an O/D I think I’m used to it. :laughing:
pam