Concerned about medical for HGV licence renewal

Would anyone be able to give me some advice on my upcoming medical? I’ve been on mirtazapine for the past year as I was suffering from low mood and tension. It works well, I’ve been in regular employment since and I have no problems getting the wagon around my multidrop route. I’m fairly healthy, likely to have decent blood pressure, likely won’t have diabetes(urine sample), will legit answer no to all of the ‘Have you ever suffered from…’ questions. Just how likely is it that the DVLA will revoke my licence based on the medication I’m on? I’m interested in anyone’s similar experience of this and what they did. Thanks

Crack on, only you know if it’s severe or not.

Depression is no bar to driving, most of us probably need help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my medical.via a company that I won’t name.
The do driver training cpc courses and also an agency as well.
My medical was pointless.put a blood pressure thing on my arm asked me few questions.
Read a line on an eye chart.
Which looked like an a4 print out done on a pc.
That was it took about 5 mins.
1st medical ever had but was expecting it to be a bit more indepth

Wheel Nut:

Crack on, only you know if it’s severe or not.

Depression is no bar to driving, most of us probably need help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I read somewhere else that a licence could be refused if the driver is on a psychotropic medication. Mirtazapine is a psychotropic medicine apparently, so that’s why I was concerned. I’ve not been depressed since I’ve been taking them and my doc will vouch for me, so hopefully all is good.

Silly really, you’re probably far safer with your condition under medical control via your Doc than a load of other people who a, don’t bother b, get stuff from God knows where on the interweb or hose down booze.

My wife was on these for two years and she regarded them as a real help.

People who suffer from depression tend to carry a deep feeling of melancholy around with them if it’s mild to moderate, hardly a danger to society.

And they just need a leg up for a while which is what the op’s drug is for.

Taking away someones lively hood and sense of worth unneccessarily would do far more damage.

Socketset:
Silly really, you’re probably far safer with your condition under medical control via your Doc than a load of other people who a, don’t bother b, get stuff from God knows where on the interweb or hose down booze.

People who suffer from depression tend to carry a deep feeling of melancholy around with them if it’s mild to moderate, hardly a danger to society.

Taking away someones lively hood and sense of worth unneccessarily would do far more damage.

the dvla are currently waiting on response from my dr regarding my taking of mirtazapine. I have been taking them for a few yrs and have had never had any side effects and have driven hgvs for over 20yrs with zero acccidents and foolishly let the doc at my recent medical that i took 'em. Consequently i now find myself in a position where i cannot work and debts are spirralling out of control and if this matter is not resolved soon will be facing homelessness. I wish i woulda kept my mouth shut - honesty is not the best policy. The stress i am under now - not knowing if i will lose my licence or not will cause depression and ruin me. Keep it shut folks

cannonball74:

Socketset:

the dvla are currently waiting on response from my dr regarding my taking of mirtazapine. I have been taking them for a few yrs and have had never had any side effects and have driven hgvs for over 20yrs with zero acccidents and foolishly let the doc at my recent medical that i took 'em. Consequently i now find myself in a position where i cannot work and debts are spirralling out of control and if this matter is not resolved soon will be facing homelessness. I wish i woulda kept my mouth shut - honesty is not the best policy. The stress i am under now - not knowing if i will lose my licence or not will cause depression and ruin me. Keep it shut folks

I suffered from depression through secondary school but have since been able to keep on top of it, although it was on my medical record i didn’t even bring it up in my medical and all was fine. Tell the DVLA as little as possible and only let on if you really need to, at the end of the day you know your health better than anyone else. A driving licence to most people is just a driving licence i think the DVLA fail to realise sometimes that it’s the only thing keeping our heads above water.

Keep your chin up and hope for the best mate, I’m sure the doctor will clearly be able to see that you’re fit to drive and tell the DVLA to stop being awkward pricks.

i have taken mirtazapine for yrs and recently had my medical as i turned 45 and like a fool told the doc i take mirtazapine, 1 15mg tablet daily. The dvla have held onto my licence since sept, saying i can drive under section 88 whilst waiting to have another medical re my mental health. As an agency driver that has limited me as nobody will give you the time of day if you cannot produce a licence. So, i had the second medical that the dvla requested - my dr was flabbergasted as to why it was even nessessary and promptly declared me A1 fit for work and there was no reason whatsoever that i cannot continue doin the job i have done safely and without endorsements or infringements for over 20yrs. This has been goin on for 10 weeks now and i am still waiting for the pricks at dvla to make a decision. I am now severly in debt and may well be forced to give my flat up very soon as i am tremendously limited as to who i can work for. Its an absolute disgrace and am looking at instructing a solicitor to fight my case as this is blatent discrination by pen pushing bureaucrats. I mean, how many people are driving on anti depressants in this country ffs

As said,wife was on Mirtazapine for a couple of years and had no side effects at all - they made her feel good again and she weaned herself off them no trouble.

Here’s the rub. My Doc wants me to take anti depressants of one type or another and I won’t take them - I’ve tried one or two and have had serious side effects with them, not mentally but physically, gave me terrible runs and other nasty digestive problems. But here’s the thing, Doc knows what I do for a living so if she thinks I’ll be fine (and she’s first in the firing line) why don’t the muppets in Swansea.

I’m at a loss about this - you’re not taking LSD where you think you can fly or see rabbits playing trombones - they just make you feel better in yourself and can help you with your day. End of.

I take Lorazepam, half a mil every couple of days - such a low dose my Doc thinks they’re more of a placebo but it works for me but I had to tell Swansea but they were OK about it and this is classed as a sedative - as far as I know anti depressants aren’t sedatives in any shape or form - they just slow the uptake of seratonin which helps to lift mood and make you feel better about stuff.

I hope things get resolved for you quickly.

Socketset:
As said,wife was on Mirtazapine for a couple of years and had no side effects at all - they made her feel good again and she weaned herself off them no trouble.

Here’s the rub. My Doc wants me to take anti depressants of one type or another and I won’t take them - I’ve tried one or two and have had serious side effects with them, not mentally but physically, gave me terrible runs and other nasty digestive problems. But here’s the thing, Doc knows what I do for a living so if she thinks I’ll be fine (and she’s first in the firing line) why don’t the muppets in Swansea.

I’m at a loss about this - you’re not taking LSD where you think you can fly or see rabbits playing trombones - they just make you feel better in yourself and can help you with your day. End of.

I take Lorazepam, half a mil every couple of days - such a low dose my Doc thinks they’re more of a placebo but it works for me but I had to tell Swansea but they were OK about it and this is classed as a sedative - as far as I know anti depressants aren’t sedatives in any shape or form - they just slow the uptake of seratonin which helps to lift mood and make you feel better about stuff.

I hope things get resolved for you quickly.

My doctor is in the Doc Martin school. I asked if I could stop taking some of my medication. I survive on pain killers and stomach protectors but also take a tablet for blood thinning and one for being raving mad. He said NO

You may not stop, if you do you may die, either by trying to fly or from a heart problem. :laughing:

OK I will keep taking the tablets Doc