Occupational Dermatitis - advice please

At the beginning of the year I started my current job as a dustcart driver on agency and after 12 weeks was signed onto the company books. Now as part of the PPE required all drivers and loaders must wear special Cut5 rated gloves provided by the company. However after just two weeks my hands started to develop lots of itchy blisters and subsequently dermatitis all over. Having suffered from eczema from a young age (food allergy related) I put it down to the cold weather and being out in the wet and just got on with it.

Once I got signed up after the 12 weeks an occupational health advisor took an assessment of my health and immediately noticed my hands, asking how long they’d been like it. I told her since I started the job to which she said that I must stop using them immediately and informed management who gave me some other gloves to use, however my hands reacted the same to them also.

Since then the dry summer and some helpful creams have meant I have been able to control the dermatitis to a certain extent, however the last few weeks of damp weather have caused them to flare up with a vengeance to the point where I am almost unable to do my job because of them.

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to talk about my hands, but what I guess im asking is where do I actually stand with the employer if the equipment I am required to use is causing me harm and meaning I am struggling to do my job? If they can’t provide me with any suitable alternative gloves can they dismiss me? I am a little worried about losing a job I enjoy doing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Why do you have to wear all signing all dancing gloves ?
What type refuse you collect and is it bulk bins ?
In all my years of being on bins and kerb side I either wore leather riggers or yellow rubber gloves , on kerb side I went mostly bare handed and used wipes to clean hands

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
In all my years of being on bins and kerb side I either wore leather riggers or yellow rubber gloves , on kerb side I went mostly bare handed and used wipes to clean hands

I am on door to door household collections which are all wheelie bins. I asked why we needed those gloves and the managers answer was ‘There are some sharp edges on some of the bins’ :open_mouth: It’s all H & S nonsense but problem is there cameras all around the truck and occasionally the local council and H&S officers spy on us, so there is no escape otherwise I would be going bare hand.

djt1881:

blue estate:

I am on door to door household collections which are all wheelie bins. I asked why we needed those gloves and the managers answer was ‘There are some sharp edges on some of the bins’ :open_mouth: It’s all H & S nonsense but problem is there cameras all around the truck and occasionally the local council and H&S officers spy on us, so there is no escape otherwise I would be going bare hand.

What ! At most riggers is all you need with those type of bins
As you said H&S gone bonkers ,

blue estate:

djt1881:

blue estate:

Someone needs to remember what the H in H&S stands for!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

blue estate:

djt1881:

blue estate:

Someone needs to remember what the H in H&S stands for!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Raymondo , what do you mean ?
Have you done house hold rubbish collections with a plastic wheelie bin ?
I have done it and not the type the op does which they just grab bin from house and put on bin lift ( no handling of bags needed ) so a good pair of riggers or stout rubber gloves if wet
I had to load a open wheelie bin from he house holds dustbin or pick up loose bags from a pile , then you could say you needed the cut resistant gloves due to Zb numpties putting broken glass or china lose in to bags [emoji49][emoji49][emoji49][emoji49]

I meant that someone, in falling over their own rule book to ensure that the job is done Safely, appears to be overlooking the requirement to look after their workers’ Health.

I would suggest the company simply needs to try a few different types of glove for the OP until they find one that ticks their safety boxes while not triggering the skin problems.

Just an idea but could you wear vinyl, latex or thin cotton gloves underneath the ones you are issued with?

^^
Agreed.