Fractured Wrist(Scaphoid) and Returning to Work

Hi all, basically fell off the catwalk of my truck back on 15th August and fractured my Scaphoid by landing on my hand :unamused: Just got the cast off on Monday 9th there, the wrists still very tender and doesn’t have much strength and range of motion still but the bone is healed ok. Just curious of anyone else’s experiences with a broken wrist and returning to driving/working afterwards. Would it be safe to return to work soon as long as theres no pushing and pulling involved? Thanks in advance for responses :laughing:

try a few mins wrist excersise at various times during the day to strengthen those weakned muscles.
youtube.com/watch?v=8pGOFptVJ1w

if your wrist hurts after that,or even at the end of your shift,then take a week off as your not healed up.
i greenstick fractured both wrists 30 years ago…self employed i just kept working and now they give me constant greif when lifting anything heavy,or using a jigsaw,hammer drill…tell your co your wanting to work,but if you get greif,then your going back on the panel,

Haha nice try Dieseldog, If I had a quid for every time someone has came out with a joke about cracking one off I’d be a rich man by this stage :unamused:, its always the strong hand too so that doesn’t make life any easier. When I go back I’ll be starting off going across the water and turning drivers to get me going so that shouldn’t be too strenuous hopefully. I can’t see lifting and dropping a trailer being too strenuous so maybe next weekend I’ll try a trip and dip the toe once my line is up next Friday.

The only thing is though, I don’t want to rush back and wreck it again and end up being in the house for another 2-3 months cause the time off work has nearly been the death of me, only so much Netflix you can watch in a day :laughing:. Once I’m back I won’t want to see the house for a couple of months lol

I fractured my wrist when I slipped on ice. I can’t recall which pieces broke, part of one of the joints, it was on the fence as to whether I would require surgery. I think I probably should have in hindsight.

The cast was on 6 weeks. The recovery post cast removal took quite a long time, my wrist frozen solid at first from being in the cast. I took weekly physio. I think this shortened the recovery considerably. They worked through exercises and used heat treatment. It was quite pleasant :smiley: . The downside is the daily “homework” exercises you have to do.

Once my wrist gained some movement the recovery sped up considerably. I’d say 4 weeks after the cast off I could drive a car properly. The physio said don’t be afraid of using the wrist as movement is beneficial. But it took 6 weeks to regain a medical to work (specific nature of my job which isn’t a driving role). I’d definitely recommend Physio.

I have full functionality of my wrist, however I do get some arthritis in it from time to Time. You will with most fractures I’m led to believe.