Fractured Wrist(Scaphoid) and Returning to Work

I fractured my wrist when I slipped on ice. I can’t recall which pieces broke, part of one of the joints, it was on the fence as to whether I would require surgery. I think I probably should have in hindsight.

The cast was on 6 weeks. The recovery post cast removal took quite a long time, my wrist frozen solid at first from being in the cast. I took weekly physio. I think this shortened the recovery considerably. They worked through exercises and used heat treatment. It was quite pleasant :smiley: . The downside is the daily “homework” exercises you have to do.

Once my wrist gained some movement the recovery sped up considerably. I’d say 4 weeks after the cast off I could drive a car properly. The physio said don’t be afraid of using the wrist as movement is beneficial. But it took 6 weeks to regain a medical to work (specific nature of my job which isn’t a driving role). I’d definitely recommend Physio.

I have full functionality of my wrist, however I do get some arthritis in it from time to Time. You will with most fractures I’m led to believe.