Hgv medical

Just a quick question on hgv eye test my hgv is up for renewal and on the eye test I got 6/9 on the week eye and 6/6 on good eye this is with glasses, I’m sure this is up to standard, does anyone know for sure cheers.

Lorry and bus drivers

You must have a visual acuity at least 0.8 (6/7.5) measured on the Snellen scale in your best eye and at least 0.1 (6/60) on the Snellen scale in the other eye.

You can reach this standard using glasses with a corrective power not more than (+) 8 dioptres, or with contact lenses. There’s no specific limit for the corrective power of contact lenses.

You must have a horizontal visual field of at least 160 degrees, the extension should be at least 70 degrees left and right and 30 degrees up and down. No defects should be present within a radius of the central 30 degrees

Cheers , looks like I’m OK then as I’m 6/6 and the standerd is 6/7.5

There are different eye sight standards for a hgv medical and are dependent on when you gained your HGV entitlement, I wouldn’t pass the current standard but can pass the one that can be used under grandfather rights without having to wear glasses to drive.
Visual acuity
Exception 1

A driver must have been awarded a Group 2 bus and lorry licence before 1 March 1992, and be able to complete a satisfactory certificate of experience, to be eligible.

If the licence was awarded between 2 March 1992 and 31 December 1996, visual acuity with corrective lenses if needed must be at least 6/9 in the better eye and at least 6/12 in the other eye; uncorrected visual acuity may be worse than 3/60 in one eye only.

Just a tip for anyone getting there medical , get an optician to fill eye assessment out and not a doctor .I got my licence revoked because the doc put wrong reading down .anyway back on the road now happy days .