Getting my licence renewed with high blood pressure

Hi everyone. I recently had my first “over 45 years” medical and the doctor passed me as fit and well with no concerns. She wrote that I take medicine for high bp and my reading on the day. My reading was 120/69 which she said was fine.

However when I handed my forms to licencing department they said they had to send it away to be medically assessed for fitness to drive because I have high bp. I don’t understand why they sent me for a medical then do not believe the doctor.

Has anyone experienced this before and knows what happens now? My current licence has expired so I can’t work until I get my new one issued and now I’m worried that it won’t be granted.

You are absolutely right about your blood pressure reading. The DVLA rule is that it must not be consistently more than 180/100, so yours is well below that level.
I think I can help with this but first of all, can I ask you a couple of questions. You say that you “handed your forms to the licensing department”. So did you actually go to DVLA in Swansea to deliver your licence renewal application in person?
You say that someone discussed your medical case. Was this the clerk who took your papers from you, or did she/he go away and find a medical person to talk to you?
Thanks.