Anyone on here had lung cancer

My first post.I was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer 3 weeks ago and am currently undergoing chemotherapy.they hope to reduce the cancer and remove tumour which would basically leave me with one lung.this is best case scenario.Would i still be able to drive an hgv after this or would my licence be revoked because of my health condition.Very worrying times …any advice from people who have been through this would be much appreciated.

Not lung cancer, but two years ago a good mate of mine was diagnosed with throat cancer, had some bits and bobs surgically removed and underwent chemo. Thankfully he now has the all clear and is back to driving. Not once was it mentioned that there may be a problem with his vocational licence, so I think that you should be ok.

I wish you the best of luck beating this disgusting and horrible disease and wish you a speedy recovery.

Cant see any reason whatsoever why you couldnt carry on driving.
All the best and hope all goes well for you.

Sincerely hope your treatment goes well for you drive.

Best wishes.

The best bit of advice I could give you at this time is not to inform DVLA because that will start a whole catalogue of problems for you. Have your time off work, get your operation done and any relevant treatment and when your fit enough, return to work.

Good luck and best wishes

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

C&Pd from a Google search…

Macmillan Cancer Support.

“Lung cancer may affect your ability to drive safely. If you hold a large goods vehicle (LGV) or a passenger carrying vehicle (PCV) driving licence, you’ll need to notify the DVLA (England, Scotland and Wales) or the DVA (Northern Ireland) if you have been treated for lung cancer in the last five years.”

But, as already pointed out, I’d be inclined to do this when things have calmed down.

Focus on getting better.

All the best.

I know what you mean mate, but the last thing you should be worrying about is getting back bloody driving. I get the livliehood bit, but just you concentrate on getting better I would say.

My Auntie was diagnosed 15 yrs ago, had most of her lung removed, goes for periodic checks and is fine, so all is not too bad mate, like I said 15 yrs and still counting.
Really hope you get yourself sorted, and Good luck…mean that.

@themoaster… a mate of mine is in the same scenario, diagnosed just before Xmas… had one of these constant, irritating coughs and throats pains…got checked out and had a lump on a tonsil…he’s doing the chemo now. Funnily enough, they won’t remove his tonsils. Couple of us are dragging him out tomorrow for a pub lunch, stops him sitting around at home bored ■■■■■■■■ as work don’t want him in and being self employed, things are getting tight on the money front and that doesn’t help his frame of mind

Good luck mate

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

i wish you all the best drive, its a horrible disease, and for you it looks like chemo will sort it out. Your doctor will have it on record, and will be notified of your progress, so have a word with him/her whether you should or should not report it ( some doctors do anyway, especially the hospital ones ) so seeing as its on your records, it will be reported when you renew your licence via the DVLA forms…good luck and keep us all informed.

Lost a lot o good friends from my youth in the last 10yrs to lung and throat cancer and after around 4months into treatment dvla has taken their licences, my best mate thought he was cured of cancer of the thorax after a huge operation but its returned after 9months into cancer of the spine ,he just had licence returned but now its away again for good :frowning: . AS I drove tippers wae most o them I had myself checked late last yr,after I mentioned this to my doctor seems I am ok at the moment but seems a strange co incident so many ex workmates coming down with this horrible thing!. (my friends are in the uk). good luck mate.

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problems with cancer.
Ive not got it myself, but am close to someone who also has stage 3 lung cancer. Theyve just ended a course of combined chemo and radio treatment, and were now waiting to see the effects of said treatment. Fingers crossed here. Like a lot of people involved on the edges of cancer I have read up on it a bit, but I am not a Doctor so of course what I say isnt professional advice.
McMillan and other charities are very good sources of info and help, whatever
your question theyll know the answer or will try to find it for you. Firstly dont panic ! Diagnosed and receiving treatment within 3 weeks is good going. Stage 3 diagnosis is not what everyone wants in their Christmas stocking, but it isnt too bad. If all goes well you should get a long and normally active life after treatment. Most of our lungs is just latent capacity, and unless you run distance you may well notice little difference. Cancer is a very serious condition and although there is no "silver bullet" cure the treatments are getting better all the time. Its all happening in small steps rather than headline grabbing miracles.
The treatments are necessarily very powerful, they need to be to attack the malignancy. They are designed to kill some of your cells, without killing the rest of you! Quite a balancing act. It seems everyone will be on different doses of different drugs and reactions to them will be different, but the side effects can be pretty severe. Ive heard it described as the most severe flu youve ever had, except theres no runny nose. You will not want to be working or driving a truck or car when youre like that. You may well be extremely tired. Sounds bad? Yeah, but this treatment is not ongoing. Itll seem like forever when youre on it but it is for a good reason after all. When its over you will start feeling better, and all being well get the op done if needed and get on with a full life ahead. OK, re work and licencing, I would think that after treatment is over youd be well able to continue driving. You may have to do one of the treadmill tests used for assessing heart condition drivers or something similar, but they arent too bad. In the long term all should be well. Short term I would think its best to contact the DVLA. Be up front with them. Following on from the Glasgow bin lorry incident, what will be their attitude if they think drivers are deliberately not informing them of medical problems? It wont be easy for you, but could be an awful lot worse if they find out about your condition from a hospital and decide youre trying to pull a fast one. I would say tell them now, to protect your licence in the future.
It will be tough on you in the short term, but dont screw up your long term prospects by hiding a condition. It sounds like you should make a full recovery, if all goes well, think on that, dont stress about lying to the licensing authorities too.

Thanks for all the advice and best wishes…really appreciate it.
Got second chemo session in 6 days.The side effects of 1st one were terrible for 1 week.Been told to pretty much expect the same after each chemo session.Thanks once again.

bluemuttley:
Thanks for all the advice and best wishes…really appreciate it.
Got second chemo session in 6 days.The side effects of 1st one were terrible for 1 week.Been told to pretty much expect the same after each chemo session.Thanks once again.

Stick with it mate. It is a horrible treatment to have to go through, but the outcomes are improving all the time. Think of the long term and don`t push yourself too hard in the short term. Wee bit of luck and all will be well. :slight_smile:

yes had a great hit of cancer kidney oesophagel and what they thought was also on lung licence revoked for the lung cancer . However after two months it biopsy,s of the lung tissue proved that lung cancer was mis diagnosed, i only had part of the lung removed so wether it is different for the whole lung idont know but get hold of the dvla and they will let u know god bless and keep fighting mate from a fellow fighter H

I was diagnosed with lung cancer in August , must have been fastracked as I had the op on 27th September . I can’t believe how lucky I am , after removal of 60% of the lung there is no sign of any spread and no need for chemo follow up . I was discharged on the 19th and only need periodic checkups at my local hospital . Still have a lot of pain but that is due to the nerve damage in the chest cavity . Dave

Best wishes with it fella .