Working Nights

Right people so here’s my story.

I passed Class 2 in December 15 and Class 1 August this year so I know I haven’t got the necessary experience most companies seek.

I current work doing Class 2 multi drop. Occasionally the hours can be maxed out but it is day work. I’m on £10.35 an hour, contracted to 38 hours anything over is time and half. So the wage is decent.

I married this year and we have a 18 month old. My wife doesn’t work so it’s my income alone which is enough to cover all the bills but leaves us with not a lot left.

I have been to a couple of interviews but the wage has been rubbish (£8.50 for class 1) I have noticed that night work seems to be the way forward in order to achieve a better wage and also gain class 1 experience.

What are people’s experience with working nights with a young family? Did it work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If your wife’s not working will you get sufficient sleep during the day to drive all night with a little un at home too?
My brother works nights and enjoys it but his kids are of school age so gets a quiet house to sleep in,can imagine it would soon take its toll if you didn’t have that.

xichrisxi:
If your wife’s not working will you get sufficient sleep during the day to drive all night with a little un at home too?
My brother works nights and enjoys it but his kids are of school age so gets a quiet house to sleep in,can imagine it would soon take its toll if you didn’t have that.

Yeah I’d say I would. She’s out mostly everyday. Goes to her mums and grandparents etc. My main worry is that the industry I’m (we’re) in will impact family life. I know days, nights and tramping all have their positives and negatives, I just want to find a good balance.

If you can get a start doing class 1 nights, and you reckon you can sleep during the day, why not give it a shot? It’s not like you sign up for nights and can’t change your course in the future.

We don’t have kids, but we’ve lived apart twice for 3-4months as my partner’s job needed. So long as you’ve got a plan, you’ll be fine.