Big Toe Pain

I’ve been getting a pain in my right big toe recently which has got so bad its driven me to see the doc. He reckons its wear & tear from 30 odd years of driving. I’m sitting in Ipswich Hospital waiting for an x ray. Anyone else suffer with this and how do you deal with it? I’ve been told to take paracetamol and thats it!! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like Gout. You must be eating too well :wink:

Deffo sounds like gout if its painful enough to send you to hospital and you havent dropped anything on it

Guy I work with has gout. They gave him tablets and he has had to stop eating cheese and cut booze right down.

Took 6 weeks to calm down but still flares up from time to time

If it’s gout start drinking tonic water.

switchlogic:
If it’s gout start drinking tonic water.

And don’t forget the gin to go in :wink: it

Truckmann:
I’ve been getting a pain in my right big toe recently which has got so bad its driven me to see the doc. He reckons its wear & tear from 30 odd years of driving. I’m sitting in Ipswich Hospital waiting for an x ray. Anyone else suffer with this and how do you deal with it? I’ve been told to take paracetamol and thats it!! [emoji15]

I had the same problem a while back.
I solved it by changing my boots…the ones I were wearing were comfortable,but possibly a trifle too large,allowing said big toe to waggle about too much,causing inflammation in the joint.
Get boots that are snug if you can.
Ibuprofen gel also helps,takes a while to kick in,but takes the edge off the pain.Also,I suggest Ibuprofen tablets instead of Paracetamol,they have superior anti-inflammatory qualities.

agree with greenman,if it is gout it is extremely painful,i had it year before last and I could not put pressure on my left foot the slightest touch and you nearly go through the roof with pain,your toe becomes very heated,cannot bend it,cannot walk on it,it comes with eating too much salt[I allways thought it was port drinkers only who got gout]but if you put too much salt on your food it apparently crystalises in the joints of your toe and causes the gout,very painful.

Interesting comments. I like the last one about too much salt. We recently got a couple of electric salt and pepper grinders and I find myself adding salt to everything where I normally wouldn’t. The doctor wasn’t my regular one and dismissed gout almost instantly. Waiting for x ray results but salt will be the first thing to go.

Yes, I should gave added to my reply really, that gout is the big obvious one that hopefully a GP would have considered quickly.
No harm in mentioning it when you get the results though, if they’ve considered it they will say why they’ve discounted it as a differential diagnosis.
Regardless of what it is, cutting down on salt, especially if you know you’re a little heavy with the grinder is a good thing. There is a lot of hidden salt in foods already and has a huge knock on effect on your health, causing raised blood pressure and potentially heart problems.