Metaformin

Hi guys

Do I have to declare to the dvla if I am on metaformin tablets for type two diabetes. I always thought as long as you weren’t insulin dependent you didn’t have to tell them.

gov.uk/diabetes-driving

I did, and got a letter back saying they were updating my medical notes but I did not need to inform them. It’s more courtesy than anything. My employer at the time (DHL) advised me to keep the letter on me in case questions were ever asked at a checkpoint.

Be aware (just off the driving topic) that metformin can cause upset stomach /dioreah, which can be a bit problematic when you’re stuck on the road. It doesn’t affect everyone and the doctors can give a slow release version that is supposed to help control this. But if it starts causing problems, talk to your doctor. Oh, and make sure you keep to your annual check ups (retinopathy, podiatry and blood tests). I’ve just found out, I’m starting with retinopathy, something you won’t know about unless you have your annual checks.

Hi martin2410

First of all thanks for the reply.

Was it recently you informed them, and how did you do it (by phone or internet form?). The reason I ask is because I have a possible job offer pending and it all hinges on this, so obviously the quicker I can get it done and dusted the better.

if you phone them it says[recording] thankyou for contacting us if you are on insulin press ■■ if on diet or medication thankyou for calling and goodbye ,unless its changed

I did and have to wait every 5 Year a Week longer for License when they double check with Doctor.

Edited
Its 2016 now and i waited 10 Weeks to get License back :bulb:

but dont worry:“You can drive,even if License expires during that waiting!”
gov.uk/government/uploads/s … 221014.pdf

I have had type 2 for years and never once informed the DVLA. They’re, as a rule, not interested. By the way, don’t forget, if you take Metaformin, you get a Medical Exemption Certificate for prescriptions. Saves a fortune as the cert covers all scripts … as I now take a handful of tabs every morning before getting out of bed, it is worthwhile having