Bubble

Thank you all for your kind words and stories; they are helping.

I hadn’t realised but my wife reminds me that Bubble had actually spent two winters sleeping in a cardboard box in the shed and not letting anyone near her, but just eating the food put out. She eventually trusted enough to come in the house for short periods until she finally let Lulu stroke her. My wife has been unable to work for many years so the cat had been her constant companion day in, day out.

We had taken her to the vet for the third or fourth time mid-week because she was due for blood tests and were hoping that a steroid injection might persuade her to start eating more again since they had done so before. This was not to be and by Sunday night she was sleeping a lot of the time, sniffing food but doing no more than just the merest lick and then making off again to hide. The steroid had been giving her energy but this time her attempt to run up the stairs failed and slipping, she couldn’t make it more than half way, leaving me to carry her the rest of the way. After a more peaceful night for her, nuzzled up between us on the top of the bed, she was very wobbly on her feet and staggering to walk. An hour or so later she was clearly worse, she had now been refusing water since the previous evening as well and when she let out a loud plaintive meiow because was having trouble weeing I rang the vet and asked for him to come and put her to sleep at home.

This was difficult because Lulu was really struggling with the idea, having been hoping for a peaceful natural end. Sadly although very weak and being held gently but firmly by the nurse the little cat struggled to get away when the needle was put in her leg. It was seeing this happen that has so upset Lulu.

The house is too big for us now so in time we shall move, the thought of burying Bubble in the garden and then having to leave her for someone else to dig up one day, decided us that she should be cremated and I suppose I am pleased to say that she is back with us again in some way. Some may think this cranky, but it will allow us the choice of what to do later.

For those who have cats and I believe dogs as well, please be aware of thyroidism and kidney disease. It is not often detected until 70% of the kidney function has been lost. If your pet seems to be drinking a lot more than you thought it normally did, or looks a bit thin investigate and take it to the vet. Bubble had lost 1/2 her body weight, she was only about the weight of a bag and a half of sugar.

Thank you all once again.

This was Bubble, only a few weeks ago :