depression

do you have to inform dvla of any medication you may have to go on even if its a low
dosage and for a short time any views would be great

New laws coming in to force about driving under medications.
I would not inform Dvla.

No I have been on anti depression tablets for twelve yrs and the Doctors have never mentioned Swansea. Eddie.

Maybe it’s not depression you’re suffering from, maybe it’s amnesia.

You’ve asked this question before.

Bit depressing this thread.

so what more info the better

Best to keep it quiet. Then when you’re better you won’t have any crap to sort out with DVLA. If you tell them they may take your licence and they’ll certainly make you jump through hoops with additional medicals.

Pm me if you want, but trust me any mental health issue is bad news. Unless you’ve been free from treatment for 3 years DVLA can be a nightmare.

tippertom:

Ring and ask um but dont tell them your name :wink:

seth 70:

tippertom:

Ring and ask um but dont tell them your name Pike :wink:

FTFY. :smiley:

my dad was 30 odd years a hgv driver,went to the docs one day told him he was feeling down,quick examination and a phone call to Swansea and my father lost his hgv ,my dad was just depressed and they told him the doc said he had a mental breakdown,some doctors I don’t trust

gov.uk/depression-and-driving

patient.co.uk/doctor/4-psych … dvla-guide

I had been on fluxotine for mild depression for about 6 months , and without it 6 months prior to applying for my cat c licence and my licence was on hold for approx 3 or 4 weeks for a medical background check .which I pressume was because of the deppression but eventually got all clear…

After an accident in 2003 that was a fatal with a pedestrian I thought I was fine but took an office job (didnt see the signs) a while later I was diagnosed with PTSD and was in the care of the crisis team at a couple of points. I have six different types of medication at different times and I was getting horrendous side effects physically and I reckon mentally as well.
I decided to go with the cognitive therapy the psychiatrist offered and it was fantastic.
At that point I wanted out of the medication and the doctors gave me a two year plan to withdraw from it, I made my mind up I and I was off medication within two months.
I had one minor blip in 2010 when made redundant bough fought though that and I have not looked back since.
I feel stronger than ever and I now know the signs are clouding and take action to blow them away.
Its by no means easy but I myself am in control and thats a massive step to keeping confidence and outlook with positiveness.
All this happened with the backing of my employers and at no point was it mentioned about revoking my licence in fact I was encouraged to drive (at my own hours and convenience) at one point.

tippertom:
do you have to inform dvla of any medication you may have to go on even if its a low
dosage and for a short time any views would be great

Try Vanille (Ice Cream,Yogurt,ect). It gives a feeling of happiness,and could help.
Then, Sunshine. Its getting you Vitamin D,which helps against depression.

Having known somebody who went to his Doctor with mild depression, as a result of which he lost his licence which gave him such huge financial problems and serious depression that he ended up committing suicide, I would NEVER talk to a doctor about depression.

I get depressed, everybody does, it’s part of the “human condition”. There are numerous ways of trying to deal with it, and many people you can talk to about it, but please, never ever a Doctor. Doctors are not your friends.

Harry Monk:
Having known somebody who went to his Doctor with mild depression, as a result of which he lost his licence which gave him such huge financial problems and serious depression that he ended up committing suicide, I would NEVER talk to a doctor about depression.

I doubt very much that he went to his doctor complaining of “mild depression” and they took his licence off him. I suspect he went to his doctor and confessed that he’d had suicidal thoughts.

We don’t want suicidal people driving lorries almost as much as we don’t want suicidal people flying passenger jets.

As with most of Harry Monk’s posts, this one should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Don’t let it dissuade you from seeking the help you need.

As above. If you have depression get help. And if you have to stop driving, so what? I’d feel happier knowing that someone feeing depressed isn’t about to end it all in a spectacular fashion, involving innocent bystanders.