High Blood Pressure and Driving

Hi,

I went to the doctors yesterday because I have a virus.
The nurse checked my blood pressure and it was too high 150/107 :open_mouth:

I have to go back two times next week to have my bp checked again.

Can I be stopped from driving (I drive Class 1 on the agencies) because of high blood pressure?

Thanks.

Your BP is up because of infection don’t worry. When it’s checked again relax and breath don’t talk…
If anything you’ll find you’ll be put on tabs and that’s it.
No need to stop driving if you do have to stop believe me your Dr will tell you.
I’ve been on medication for BP for years just make sure when you do your remedical you declare it. No sweat

aposhark:
Hi,

I went to the doctors yesterday because I have a virus.
The nurse checked my blood pressure and it was too high 150/107 :open_mouth:

I have to go back two times next week to have my bp checked again.

Can I be stopped from driving (I drive Class 1 on the agencies) because of high blood pressure?

Thanks.

When you have your medical, the diastolic reading (the second one, 107) is above the DVLA’s limit which is 100. I don’t think (but I’m not 100% sure) that the doctor has to inform DVLA about your current blood pressure though. In any event, the doctor should be able to bring your blood pressure down using medication.

Like nick2008 said I wouldn’t worry too much even if it is long term and you go on Tablets your unlikely to lose your licence.My BP test was the highest the Doctor had ever seen (226/152) and I’ve still got my Licence so I don’t think you need worry too much about yours

dazcapri:
Like nick2008 said I wouldn’t worry too much even if it is long term and you go on Tablets your unlikely to lose your licence.My BP test was the highest the Doctor had ever seen (226/152) and I’ve still got my Licence so I don’t think you need worry too much about yours

Is yours high because you are working at the Co-Op in Birtley? :wink:
I thought mine was really high :open_mouth:

aposhark:

dazcapri:

Is yours high because you are working at the Co-Op in Birtley? :wink:
I thought mine was really high :open_mouth:

No mate I’ve given up Driving for a living I work for a Lawn care company Mon to Fri 7.30 till 4 and a company van outside,money ain’t brilliant but you can’t have everything.Mine turned out to be cos of dodgy kidneys hope yours is sorted soon.

It’s not that high and along with your virus it will be magnified.

I also have a high BP and I take 10 tablets a day for mine :wink: I think the current figures are it has to be below 180/90 for 3 readings before you need to worry about your licence.

As above, mine was 210/110 for a while but I found it to be a dead kidney and a blocked artery.

i take 3 tablets a day for HBP.

no you cant,i am on pills for my pressure and have been for 16 years,never affects me at all

truckman020:
no you cant,i am on pills for my pressure and have been for 16 years,never affects me at all

Yes you can.

If your BP is over 180/100 then you can have your licence removed, If you can reduce that figure with meds or lifestyle change (without side affects) then you can keep it.

Disqualifies from driving if resting BP consistently 180 mm Hg systolic or more and/or 100 mm Hg diastolic or more.

Re/licensing may be permitted when controlled provided that treatment does not cause side effects which may interfere with driving.

Honked:

truckman020:

Yes you can.

If your BP is over 180/100 then you can have your licence removed, If you can reduce that figure with meds or lifestyle change (without side affects) then you can keep it.

Disqualifies from driving if resting BP consistently 180 mm Hg systolic or more and/or 100 mm Hg diastolic or more.

Re/licensing may be permitted when controlled provided that treatment does not cause side effects which may interfere with driving.

just checked mine,and it’s 140/82.down to 2 tablets now as one was lowering my Potassium level

So here is what the rules state.

You MUST inform DVLA if you have high blood pressure (consistently above 180/100) by filling in a medical form. They will decide if you can continue to drive.

If you get it down and keep it down then you can apply for your licence back (if they have revoked it).

It is up to you to inform DVLA, failure to do so can result in a fine etc.

Some good info here http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/microsites/u40/Home/daily/Driving

HTH

Thanks very much to everyone who has replied to my thread.

I will go back to the docs next week and hopefully this virus will be gone.

Hi all,

We’re casting for a new BBC One Health Television Series looking for families who wish to improve their health and make a positive change to their lives. It would include a full health MOT and the undivided attention of a doctor over the course of a month, his knowledge and expertise at you and your family’s disposal.

If anyone is interested please do get in contact.

Many thanks,

Lizzie
email: lizzie.horton@studiolambert.com
tel: 0203 040 6909
Casting Researcher | Studio Lambert | Doctor in the House