Failed on eyesight. Hgv provisional

So 4 weeks, 4 days after I posted off my d4 and my licence I call the dvla to chase up the whereabouts of my licence to find I failed the eyesight test (without glasses) they are sending out a form to take to my opticians for a re-test.

My medical was done at my local surgery, the doctor was foreign n just seemed to be ‘filling in a form’ he told me that my eyesight passed that of the required standards. I’m a 27 year old healthy female who wears glasses 24/7. My eyesight does improve the longer I’m not wearing glasses.

I’ve got the money sat waiting to do my class c test in Norwich in the very near future. Does anyone have experience of the doctor vs the optician test?

Does the duration of wearing/not wearing my glasses count? Would it be cheating the test which I would assume I would fail ‘next time around’ as eyesight only gets worse…I can only afford to get laser treatment if it’s under £1500 (which I’ve heard is rare) I can’t help feel at a loss of the one thing I’d love to do.

I’d appreciate any experiences in the above situations. Got my heart set on a driving career!

You are over worrying about it at this time

Go to the opticians and then take it from there - they will give you all the info you need should something further be needed

Bet you come out of the opticians with a smile on your face

I think you may possibly have misunderstood. According to my own GP, a doctor cannot conduct the eye test any more, it has to be undertaken by an optician, probably this is why your application was knocked back.

So I’ve been to the opticians, the letter (from the dvla) states that the doctor found that my glasses had a corrective power greater than +8 dioptres in meridian of either lens. Question 2 on the d4 says, is the visual actuity at least 6/7.5 in the better eye and at least 6/60 in the other eye. So the opticians report says 6/6 and 6/5 but my lenses are not greater than +8 dioptres. Never been so confused! If it’s 6/6 surely that’s still a fail. I didn’t get to speak to the optician.

Donya-elias:
So I’ve been to the opticians, the letter (from the dvla) states that the doctor found that my glasses had a corrective power greater than +8 dioptres in meridian of either lens. Question 2 on the d4 says, is the visual actuity at least 6/7.5 in the better eye and at least 6/60 in the other eye. So the opticians report says 6/6 and 6/5 but my lenses are not greater than +8 dioptres. Never been so confused! If it’s 6/6 surely that’s still a fail. I didn’t get to speak to the optician.

so who did your eye test :question: :question: :question: …whilst having your eyes tested you should have asked

Just found the enclosed copy of the d4 form! Frigging doctor ticked the WRONG BOX!!! Cheers for the extra ‘upto 6 week wait’ Fuming! £75 for 25 minutes sat answering questions! N he stuffs up! :confused:

nick2008:

Donya-elias:

so who did your eye test :question: :question: :question: …whilst having your eyes tested you should have asked

They optical assistant woman took the form to the optician but see above I found the problem

Donya-elias:
Just found the enclosed copy of the d4 form! Frigging doctor ticked the WRONG BOX!!! Cheers for the extra ‘upto 6 week wait’ Fuming! £75 for 25 minutes sat answering questions! N he stuffs up! :confused:

Ah we must have posted same time ish well you know what I’d be sending to the manager of the Dr’s surgery along with an EYETEST appointment :wink:

Donya-elias:

No, no, 6/6 is better than 6/7.5, in fact I would think that’s perfect vision.
Not all doctors can do the eyesight test, only if they have the approved equipment.

coule lways be worse…a polish driver that works for us went for his eye test.the optician asked him if he could read the eye chart,…the flipflops reply was…read it?? I used to live next door to him… :smiley:

Donya-elias:
So 4 weeks, 4 days after I posted off my d4 and my licence I call the dvla to chase up the whereabouts of my licence to find I failed the eyesight test (without glasses) they are sending out a form to take to my opticians for a re-test.

My medical was done at my local surgery, the doctor was foreign n just seemed to be ‘filling in a form’ he told me that my eyesight passed that of the required standards. I’m a 27 year old healthy female who wears glasses 24/7. My eyesight does improve the longer I’m not wearing glasses.

I’ve got the money sat waiting to do my class c test in Norwich in the very near future. Does anyone have experience of the doctor vs the optician test?

Does the duration of wearing/not wearing my glasses count? Would it be cheating the test which I would assume I would fail ‘next time around’ as eyesight only gets worse…I can only afford to get laser treatment if it’s under £1500 (which I’ve heard is rare) I can’t help feel at a loss of the one thing I’d love to do.

I’d appreciate any experiences in the above situations. Got my heart set on a driving career!

I needed my Reading Glasses 2 weeks ago. Now in California since Wednesday last Week im hiking since Saturday and have now my Reading Glasses anywhere on the Bottom of the Locker as i don’t need it for all Day reading. Would still come handy for Newspaper reading,im not doing anyway.
Fact: Exercise is not just for the healthy. :exclamation:

Donya-elias:

I needed my Reading Glasses 2 weeks ago. Now in California since Wednesday last Week im hiking since Saturday and have now my Reading Glasses anywhere on the Bottom of the Locker as i don’t need it for all Day reading. Would still come handy for Newspaper reading,im not doing anyway.
Fact: Exercise is not just for the healthy. :exclamation:

If you wear corrective lenses, the doctor will test your eyes without corrective lenses and if you are not within range, you will not pass the eye test.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … pdates.pdf

This is the problem I have. I am near sighted. My sight without glasses has become worse over the years. When I got my first hgv provisional in 1994, the doctor said I was just in range without glasses. But now I think I will fail the test without glasses as my uncorrected sight is must worse, the snellen chart is a total blur to me.

We’ve just had an ‘eye test’ at ours and used this… vutest.com/seedrive/