Myocarditis - :(

Hi all,

TBH , really writing this to get it off my chest (not the best phrase to use)

My old man , 20 odd years Merchant Navy and about 15 years driving trucks, has had to hang up his driving boots at the age of 51.

Basically Myocarditis is a virus on the heart that affects the heart muscle. From what the doctor has said , he has had it all his life and his heart could have stopped at any time due to it. Will be going to have a defibulator attatched to his heart in case his heart does stop it will (hopefully) give it a shock back into life.

Really gutted about this as its pretty much coincided with me starting my driving career his has came to an abrupt end.

His place of work are going to try and find him a job still working within the company, just unfortunately no driving.

Thanks

Nathan

I really feel for your dad and give him my best wishes.
It is really hard when someone, (rightly or wrongly) takes away one of the only things you know. I’m in the same boat myself currently, and its bloody hard.
Until you are in this situation for yourself, most people have no idea how soul destroying it can be, both mentally and financially.
We have received no help, (especialy from the government) in the last 6 months since i got my injuries, times have been hard and hit a low point this last week, things are so tight that earlier today i gathered up a load of dvds, xbox games and my satnav walked to the town and sold the lot to 1 of those crap exchange shops. Got £50 for the lot :cry:
Satnav cost me £250 brand new last year. But with no milk in the fridge and hardly any food in the cupboards, you have to do what yo have to do.

chilistrucker:
It is really hard when someone, (rightly or wrongly) takes away one of the only things you know. I’m in the same boat myself currently, and its bloody hard.
Until you are in this situation for yourself, most people have no idea how soul destroying it can be, both mentally and financially.
We have received no help, (especialy from the government) in the last 6 months since i got my injuries, times have been hard and hit a low point this last week, things are so tight that earlier today i gathered up a load of dvds, xbox games and my satnav walked to the town and sold the lot to 1 of those crap exchange shops. Got £50 for the lot :cry:
Satnav cost me £250 brand new last year. But with no milk in the fridge and hardly any food in the cupboards, you have to do what yo have to do.

Its not got that bad as it m8,i really dont know what to say pal,gutted for u :cry:

chilistrucker:

hope everything works out for you in the end mate.

sinclair89:
Hi all,

TBH , really writing this to get it off my chest (not the best phrase to use)

My old man , 20 odd years Merchant Navy and about 15 years driving trucks, has had to hang up his driving boots at the age of 51.

Basically Myocarditis is a virus on the heart that affects the heart muscle. From what the doctor has said , he has had it all his life and his heart could have stopped at any time due to it. Will be going to have a defibulator attatched to his heart in case his heart does stop it will (hopefully) give it a shock back into life.

Really gutted about this as its pretty much coincided with me starting my driving career his has came to an abrupt end.

His place of work are going to try and find him a job still working within the company, just unfortunately no driving.

Thanks

Nathan

sorry to hear that, ad h/attack in april so i no how ya feel. hope hes well sad to lose it after so long doing the job

My dad had a h/a last February, after being a long distance driver most of hi life, although he’s now 71 he gave up the driving 2years before h/a &now works on a farm as their engineer, he’s actually happier now as he’s home at same time every day & less stress than trying to get to delivery in stupid time scale,
Best wishes to your dad hope he enjoys his new job as much as mine does even though “trucking” was his life

Just to give a quick update.

My dad is fine, been signed ok to go back to work, still unable to drive mind. But he’s on the up. Bit worried about working in a confined space compared to what he is used to.

Hope everyone else is ok who chatted on here :slight_smile: