Mental health condition and disclosure

Hi all,

Bit of an odd one this…

I have bipolar disorder, and I’m hoping to take my HGV class one next year (my doctor says my condition is well managed and wouldn’t go against me in a medical)…There are a few issues however…

1. The law states that I must tell my insurer that I have BP. Any potential employer will also see that I have to have my licence redone every one to three years.

2. If I follow the insurance rule, then my employer HAS to know also, probably at the interview stage. I know I’m supposed to be protected by disability laws, but I really can’t see an employer take on a driver with BP when he can get a another person who doesn’t have an illness. It would cost more in insurance to employ someone with BP for starters.

The HGV licence training is three grand…that’s a lot of money to spend only find that I can’t get work afterwards.

Does anyone have any advice?

Are there any lorry drivers on here who have faced a similar issue? Perhaps with diabetes etc?

I’m on a 1 year licence for HGV (3 years for car) as I have MS. I don’t know how employers would judge you at interview; yes, in theory you’re protected, but we all know they can easily find another excuse. I was lucky enough to be in a job when I was diagnosed, but perhaps the best way to test the waters would be to go and visit - NOT phone or email, you need to see the body language - local hauliers and run the situation past them.

One thing I DO know, is that my insurance is no higher than that for an able-bodied driver as it’s illegal for insurance companies to bump up the premium because of a disability. I’m 99% sure your condition would be treated the same (probably best to double check) and - if it is - make sure you tell potential employers this. Basically, if they are “offered” a higher premium, they can tell the insurance company to sod off and requote. Maybe get a note from your doctor confirming you’re fit to drive as well?

Hope that helps.