Blood pressure (medical)

Hi, first I will say hi as a new user here.I’ve had my medical, sent away the forms and just realised I think I am going to have my license revoked due to high blood pressure. The reading the doctor wrote down was 135/100. I think this might be just over the limit. Now it does mention consistently at the higher end i’ve had 1 reading. What happens if they revoke it, getting a little worried now. Any help would be great. Thanks.

The limits are 180/100, so while one is OK the 100 is on the limit.
Was this after just one BP test?, normally if you have a high reading first time the doc will take another couple of readings one after the other as it usually drops quite quickly.
The nearest I’ve been to the limit was last year when I had a reading of 170/96, and the doctor wrote, “White coat syndrome”, as a doctor’s surgery is the worst place to have your BP checked as any anxiety can send your BP sky high, but I had no comeback.
If the DVLA come back with a query, they may require a BP reading taken over several days to see if it stabilizes, if you go to your own doctors practice the nurse will organise a test regime.
Until you hear back now from the DVLA there’s not much you can do except keep your fingers crossed.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes he just took the reading said the 100 was a bit high, took another reading and sure hesaid something about 91 not sure though. I don’t go to doctors often, he said don’t be nervous,We’ll just leave it at the original bp number it’ll be fine. Wish I had looked into it more before going for this medical. I am actually going back to the doctors so if they need further readings they will have them( hope they will be better). Would they just revoke my licence straight away or do you think they will just ask for further bp readings. Not looking good just now, especially if the 100 is right on the limit or above it. Keeping fingers crossed they don’t revoke it straight away. Thanks.

I’m surprised the doc put down the first BP reading, many of us have raised BP as the being at the doctors is known to cause anxiety and raised BP, and all the medicals I have had, if it required two or even three tests to get an acceptable reading, the doctor has always stated the lowest one.
The fact that it was lower on a second test taken immediately after proves that was the case, or if he had stated, as my doctor did, “White coat syndrome” , would have been a great help.
Unfortunately, the die is cast and there’s nothing that can be done until you hear from the DVLA.
I think I should find myself another doctor next time.

Going to the opposite end of the scale, is there a low blood pressure limit?

bonnie lass:
Going to the opposite end of the scale, is there a low blood pressure limit?

yes.
if it goes to low you could pass out …

Low blood pressure, also known as hypotension, is where blood pressure in your arteries is abnormally low.

Naturally low blood pressure is unlikely to cause any symptoms and is normally nothing to worry about. However, if your blood pressure drops too low, it can restrict the amount of blood flowing to your brain and other vital organs, which can cause, unsteadiness, dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting.

What is the lower limit for blood pressure?

bonnie lass:
What is the lower limit for blood pressure?

that’ll be when you pass out :wink:

I take it your on about for holding a licence >

Yes, I just wondered seeing as there are concerns about the higher bp limit.

Hi, thought I would update. The doc missed a question on medical so it was sent back, maybe a blessing as I had my bp taken again in that time. He then put on the other info bit the lower readings on it and signed and dated it. Anyway had my licence back last week phew, but I must try and bring my blood pressure down a bit runs in the family. Thank you all. I do believe though it would have been revoked until it came down speaking to other drivers.

Glad everything has turned out good for you.

Thanks very much. I believe I was very lucky, just lucky the doc missed the question if not would have been revoked. That’s it for another 5 years.

I think that was definitely “White coat syndrome”, if your BP was lower when you went for another try.
Even though I now have to have my medical every year now you would think I’d be used to it, but it still raises my BP, not as much as it did and no where near the limit, but I think most of us have the same problem.
Anyway, good news and good luck.