Ow Ow OW ... anyone had a tooth abscess?

Woke up today with a ping pong ball in-bedded in my upper cheek. Never had an abscess before, but this one is stretching my nose out of shape! I can see it protruding out my face in my peripheral vision.

I haven’t been to the dentist since I was old enough to choose not to ( a good 20 years ago) Do abscesses clear up after a few days or do I need to see an emergency dentist? Dunno why, but I’m terrified of going to the dentist. The tooth is broken and has gone grey. Do they rip the tooth out (is there lots of blood?) or do they repair it, or do they drain the swelling or do they just give you antibiotics?

Most importantly … will it hurt??

dentist.jpg

tooth abcess is the worst., get to a dentist asap they will remove the tooth and youll be surprised how quick the pain goes away.

i had one years ago, got an emergency appointment and boom as soon as it was out i was painless/drugged to my eyeballs, i couldnt sleep or anything because of the pn.

Cheers Gogzy. Do they remove the tooth on emergency dentist or just give you antibiotics? I could have gone today, but got drunk instead with the intention of loosening the tooth myself… or to be honest … i got ■■■■■■ so i had an excuse not to have to visit the dentist. I heard emergency dentists only give you antibiotics and they never pull teeth, instead they do root canal and crown

no they pulled it, it probably depends how bad it is, if its bad they will pull it i think if it aint that bad youll get drugs.

i dont blame you for getting drunk anything to relieve the pain/forget about it but in the end getting it sorted is the best thing

Ched:
Cheers Gogzy. Do they remove the tooth on emergency dentist or just give you antibiotics? I could have gone today, but got drunk instead with the intention of loosening the tooth myself… or to be honest … i got ■■■■■■ so i had an excuse not to have to visit the dentist. I heard emergency dentists only give you antibiotics and they never pull teeth, instead they do root canal and crown

Ahhhh,…
On the Way from Porto to Salzburg I once stopped in Freiburg in Germany outside a Hospital at 02.00 Am
They drilled a hole into the Tooth,put some Azid in to kill the Nerve and told me to see the Dentist to close that Hole.They left just a few small Towel in the Hole so no dirt comes in. Was actually free.

IIRC a member on here had a abscess he touched it with his tongue & he blacked out nearly lost his licence

So would have it sorted if I were you

They may give you drugs to help with the swelling before they remove it

I’ve had a couple of abscesses over the years and the dentist has only ever given me antibiotics, and said that he couldn’t do anything until the infection had died down. This was with teeth healthy enough to repair though. Then he filled them.

I’m not recommending this, but once when I couldn’t get to the dentist I straightened out a paper clip, pushed it up in between my teeth and burst the abscess. All this vile gunk poured out into my mouth and I spat it out and rinsed with salt water. I did feel 100 times better afterwards, although as I said, it’s probably best not recommended.

If you’re scared of the dentist, try having the work done at a sedation clinic, it’s fantastic. You are fully awake and aware but you feel no pain and no fear. It’s as if you are watching it being done to somebody else. You have to have a chaperone with you though as you are a bit stoned afterwards.

You must do something though, an abscess can kill you if left untreated.

You have to get an abscess look at, if you don’t then as harry says it could kill you. There is a toxic substance that builds up, which is the puss that you can drain out your self( if you’re a complete nut case ) it can either kill you if it’s really bad, however the fluid will start to eat the bone in its immediate area. Hence antibiotics to clear it up later.
I had a macho mate that had one on his lower jaw who though the best way to sort it out was just stay permanently ■■■■■■ for a couple of weeks. After about 3 weeks he got up enough nerve to see the dentist to be told that at some time in the future he would require reconstructive surgery as his bottom jaw was about half way eaten through.
Get it seen to…

Jeff…

As others have said, antibiotics first then dentist. Dentist wouldn’t touch an abscessed tooth.

I’ve had a few of them, mainly self inflicted, as I was away most of the time, I never had a regular dentist, they were few and far between and if you didn’t go every 6months for a check they slung you off their register.

So I used to go to Guys or King’s College and let the students practice, I obviously only went at the start of term as I kept getting abcesses and had one on a front tooth that swelled my face so much I couldn’t open my eyes!

I was parked opposite a Pompiers just south of Chambery on the N6, on my way to Telford from Mira (VE) and the swelling had, as I said, got pretty bad, the pain was excruciating, so I went over to the Pompiers, hoping for a paramedic, I got Monsieur McGyver who heated a needle and stabbed me in the gum. OMG the taste was putrid, he grabbed my bugle and squeezed all the pus out and that was that, I dropped him FF100 and set off up the road, pain free at last.

A big hit and I was parked outside Peuduce (sp) Nappies at Telford and my face was swelling again, I spent the night in a converted coach cafe as sleep was not an option. After unloading I got one of the girls in the office to take me to a dentist in town where I got a course of antibiotics and a filling in the problem tooth.

From then on I seemed to get an abcess every couple of months for a few years.

It was only when I got signed on at a proper dentist that I got it sorted and it cost me thousands as I couldn’t get on with an NHS dentist. He told me that the first one caused all the rest as it was never dealt with properly.