Diabetes Type 2

So a good mate has today been diagnosed with the above been told to sraert to watch his diet to begin with but i have a question on his behalf i think he said his blood sugars where reading around 18 .2 is that bad ? and if he starts to eat better how log would it take for him to see a difference i e a lower level thxs

I could be wrong but I think it should be about 7.0

irish lorries:

yeh your right i just wonderd how long it would take to lower with a healthy diet

bjd:

irish lorries:

yeh your right i just wonderd how long it would take to lower with a healthy diet

I’m not sure but bood suger level can drop or rise very fast

A non-diabetic should be between 4 and 7 mmol’s two hours after eating a meal, 18 is high unless he has just necked a bottle of lucozade or scoffed mars bars.

Anything below 4 (hypo) is dangerous short term, lack of blood to the brain and other organs potentially leading to a coma and then death. Anything above 7 (hyper) isn’t dangerous immediately but if they stay that high they put strain on the body and potentially cause long term effects to organs or limbs, with the added advantage of whilst they are high you will be constantly thirsty and having to stop for a wee at almost every opportunity! Over time you get used to your own body and know if your high or low or heading in either way, its when you stop sensing sudden changes you have to worry!

Easiest way to keep the levels low (without the use of insulin) is exercise, burn off some of the glucose, but of course don’t overdo it and put them too low! Apart from that I believe with type two the easier thing is to control sugar levels is through diet (I personally went straight to type 1 aged 24)

Visited my practice nurse today for my annual diabetes check up.(For my type 2).
Result? Blood/glucose level, below diabetic level!
Foot inspection? Perfect!
When I had my last retinopathy, (Photo of my retina), that was a good result too.
I also had to fill in a questionaire regarding my performance in the errrr bedroom, as apparently 95% of men over 70,(That’s me),who have diabetes, have trouble “Getting it up!”
I must be one of the 5% then as I have no trouble in that department, yet!
All I do is a moderate diet, no drugs, nothing silly, I like my puddings as well as the next man, but you can’t live on them.

bjd:
So a good mate has today been diagnosed with the above been told to sraert to watch his diet to begin with but i have a question on his behalf i think he said his blood sugars where reading around 18 .2 is that bad ? and if he starts to eat better how log would it take for him to see a difference i e a lower level thxs

OK. Its easier als you think :grimacing:
Dont drink Alcohol or any which has Sugar or Sweetener in it.
Dont eat
any Kind of fruit with Fruit-Sugar in it (If the Body cant lock Sugar into the Cells he also cant Vitamin C. its the same Key)
any Kind of Wheat Flour in it (Bread,Roll,Pasta,ect,ect)
any Kind of white Reis

You can drink
Water
Tea without Sugar
Milk

You can eat (not much :slight_smile: ,)
Meat
Fish
most Vegetables,but no Potato
Porridge
Barley

You musst do exercise.
I do walking. Normally between January and March in Nevada/California.
Otherwise walking the Hadrians Wall,Forest of Dean,next Week 3 day in Tyrol. Bough me a Camera to have a Hobby which gets me active.

OK,check then after 3 Weeks. Every Pharmacy does free Diabetes checks.