diabetes

allright chaps[and chappeses ] just been told by letter that i have diabetes,going to find out properly on monday,the question i would like answered is how will it affect my hgv licence,will D V L A be axxhxxxs and revoke or will all be ok with ongoing treatment,cheers

If your diabetes is treated with insulin, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:
the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)

If your diabetes is treated with diet or diet and tablets, you may hold a licence to drive either a large good vehicle (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV).

However, you may apply to be assessed individually for fitness to drive these must vehicles must meet a number of conditions:
No episode of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
You will need to assessed at least once a year by a diabetes consultant
Regularly testing your blood glucose levels, particularly before and around times of driving
Have stable on insulin for at least a month
Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant change in your condition to the DVLA

Lets just hope its the latter mate :smiley:

I have been type 2 diabetic for years taking tablets & never had a problem until my last medical. It took four months for new licence to arrive after DVLA Medical section did checks.

No restrictions on licence at all.

Type 2 diabetes is a public health timebomb about to explode.
Half the population over forty will develop it to varying levels, we’ve been consuming more sugar than any previous generation and our bodies were never designed to cope with so much of the stuff.
The good news is that with a good diet and sufficient excercise it can be kept under control and it will not affect your lifestyle.
Either way it won’t affect your livelihood as a HGV Driver.

a mate of mine has been type 2 diabetic for 10 years now with no issues with his hgv licence.
as said,good diet is a major factor…i was watching a programme on telly recently about diabetes…1 can of pop contains the equivalent of 16 spoons of sugar!!!

Im type 2,and on tablets,metformin and gliclacide,and it made no differance ,just being on the metformin ,but when I went onto glicacide too,I had to be given a tester from the doctors, due to glicaide, being on a DVLA list

Swampey2418:
If your diabetes is treated with insulin, you will automatically lose the entitlement to drive vehicles within:
the C1/C1+E class (including categories C1, C1E, D1, D1E, C, CE, D or DE)

If your diabetes is treated with diet or diet and tablets, you may hold a licence to drive either a large good vehicle (LGV) or a passenger-carrying vehicle (PCV).

However, you may apply to be assessed individually for fitness to drive these must vehicles must meet a number of conditions:
No episode of hypoglycemia at the wheel within the last 12 months
You will need to assessed at least once a year by a diabetes consultant
Regularly testing your blood glucose levels, particularly before and around times of driving
Have stable on insulin for at least a month
Have no other conditions that would invalidate an application for the license
Sign a declaration to follow doctor’s decisions and report any significant change in your condition to the DVLA

Lets just hope its the latter mate :smiley:

cheers chap as i say will hopefully be having a discussion with a diabetic nurse on monday

gus607:
I have been type 2 diabetic for years taking tablets & never had a problem until my last medical. It took four months for new licence to arrive after DVLA Medical section did checks.

No restrictions on licence at all.

good to know,thanks

bigdave789:
Type 2 diabetes is a public health timebomb about to explode.
Half the population over forty will develop it to varying levels, we’ve been consuming more sugar than any previous generation and our bodies were never designed to cope with so much of the stuff.
The good news is that with a good diet and sufficient excercise it can be kept under control and it will not affect your lifestyle.
Either way it won’t affect your livelihood as a HGV Driver.

thanks

xamtex:
a mate of mine has been type 2 diabetic for 10 years now with no issues with his hgv licence.
as said,good diet is a major factor…i was watching a programme on telly recently about diabetes…1 can of pop contains the equivalent of 16 spoons of sugar!!!

saw that mysef its going to be hard to cut back on nice things but i have no choice, thanks

truckman20:
allright chaps[and chappeses ] just been told by letter that i have diabetes,going to find out properly on monday,the question i would like answered is how will it affect my hgv licence,will D V L A be axxhxxxs and revoke or will all be ok with ongoing treatment,cheers

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago and I am still diet controlled if your sensible with what you eat and control it well you should be ok.

If you “need” to shed a few pounds, now would be a good time to start !

One thing to bear in mind its not all doom and gloom,
See what the nurse comes back with, you might need a few weeks off driving until you blood levels have a establish and if your not happy with what your hearing never be afraid to ask for a second opinion…

truckman20:

xamtex:

saw that mysef its going to be hard to cut back on nice things but i have no choice, thanks

Diet is everything!
I was glucose intolerant, (That’s borderline diabetic),for 30 years before I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic about 5 years ago,
I modified my diet slightly,I wasn’t a big drinker by any means,but giving up my mealtime glass of wine was significant,
I lost a stone and a half in 6 weeks,which reduced my collar size by one inch,very telling,and when I have my blood/glucose test every year before I take my medical,I’m below diabetic level!
I like my puddings as well as anyone,but everything in moderation and it’s not difficult.
I have my blood test printed out and take it to the doc that does my medical to enter the facts on the D4.
Never had any problem with the DVLA.
I’m nearly 71 and coming up for my next medical, the only thing that’s changed since my last medical is about 3 weeks ago I had a cataract operation on one eye so should now fly through the eyesight requirement.

gus607:

allready started,but its hard cutting out everything i love

truckman20:

gus607:

Going for a walk will take your mind off food !

gus607:

truckman20:

gus607:

Just don’t go to the chippy

There is a book called Carbs & Cals (£14.99) that was recommended to me by my nurse.

It tells you what your daily intake of carbohydrates & calories should be and gives you most food items and what they contain. ie. 1 slice of bread, soup, meats (even chips) etc. with portion sizes, which gives you the ability to regulate your daily intake. Carbs will affect your sugar levels and calories will affect your weight.

I always thought that I was eating reasonably until I checked it in this book and I was shocked at finding out what I was really eating and my misconception about it. I can now choose what I want to eat and just keep an eye on the totals for the day and know that I’m OK. It really helps to know the carbohydrate content of an item to know if it is a daily staple or an occasional treat.

I found out that things like an Oatmeal biscuits are not all made equal, so reading the labels on food items is a MUST, especially when you are peckish and pick up what you think is reasonably healthy food and leave with something that has a 1/2 bag of sugar in it.

I also keep a few (small) cartons of apple juice scattered about just in case I feel my levels going too low as this is the fastest way of raising them again.

It took me a while to find a diet that I was happy with and is reasonable good for me, but once I had figured it out, its easy.

NOVE:

gus607:

truckman20:

gus607:

Just don’t go to the chippy

cannot remember when i last went to the chippy its been so long,hate going into the supermarket and having to pass all the nice stuff,like someone giving up smoking,very irritable

Hi truckman20 as the other fellas have said it’s all up to you either pass em by or not your choice , back in 85 I loved my job as HGV doing European work I contracted diabetes dunno how luck of the draw I suppose but I wasn’t as lucky as some fellas on here I went from losing weight rapidly with an unquechable thirst, and went to the doctor gave me a quick wee test said straight to the hospital after tests they confirmed diabetes, I went back to work in fact I went back to Italy when I got home a letter was waiting from DVLA liecence revoked, devastated !! The end had come 3 weeks from finding out !
So watch your weight keep fit and watch your diet.
Pass the goodies bye, and keep your HGV, keeping working !
Good luck.

Regards Jimski