Broken ribs.

I broke two ribs at work this week, I was able to get home as I could drive perfectly well, I just can’t do anything like opening curtains, connecting trailers etc.

Luckily I’m insured for loss of earnings and costs, and as I’m 54 now and have never broken a bone in my life I suppose it was overdue.

I know broken ribs is a fairly common injury, so can somebody give some rough idea of how long it will take to heal to the point where I can carry out work-related activity?

6 to 10 weeks according to certain injuries.

That all depends on how long the insurance keep paying out :wink:

Depends OLD boy lol …

You could be a few weeks to 6 +weeks what did the Dr says. take it as a holiday fella take it easy as you’ll rush and mess up all the healing causing untold delays.
deleted the strapped up bit as they apparently don’t do that any more :blush:

newmercman:
That all depends on how long the insurance keep paying out :wink:

I know where you are coming from but I just get bored brainless sitting at home after a couple of weeks, so I do want to get back sooner rather than later. Just wouldn’t be possible at the moment.

When I broke a mate ribs ( by accident tole him not to do something so he did caught him wrong broke ribs ) took about 8 weeks but think it depends on which ribs they are & if you heal well ( quick ) or not

I broke 1 rib last year, fell over in the shower. Didn’t have any time off work just took it slower, but was on painkillers for a few weeks, especially at night.
(Sneezing wasn’t much fun ! Lol)

I’m a year younger than you Harry & all in all it took about 6 months to be totally pain free.

Didn’t get me out of the washing up either. (Even after I asked for a note from the walk in centre)

& no, they don’t strap it up anymore.

martinviking:
I broke 1 rib last year, fell over in the shower. Didn’t have any time off work just took it slower, but was on painkillers for a few weeks, especially at night.
(Sneezing wasn’t much fun ! Lol)

I’m a year younger than you Harry & all in all it took about 6 months to be totally pain free.

Didn’t get me out of the washing up either. (Even after I asked for a note from the walk in centre)

& no, they don’t strap it up anymore.

Just a thought, my MAN is auto, but I believe your wagon has got one of those Funny Gear Lever Thingy’s, so that made it easier for me.
Pulled a muscle in my back years ago & I couldn’t get my old D Series Ford into any of the ‘Even’ gears (2,4,6)

I was in plaster over xmas as I mangled my foot/ankle falling down stairs (sober) it’s still playing up now even though I got the all clear at the hospital. They reckon up to 6months for full healing and even then it will still hurt if I put it under a lot of strain.

We don’t bend as much as we used to and we definitely don’t heal as fast.

I drink gallons (literally) of milk a week and the doc said this was my saving grace as the calcium is good for the bones.

I have bust my ribs a couple of times, it has normally taken a month to 6 weeks but have worked through it with plenty of codeine for which I have a dealer :wink:

I’ve currently got a broken rib as well. Broke mine 3 weeks ago doing Krav Maga. I’ve carried on working as I can’t afford the time off.

Still hurts a fair bit, but I already take naproxsyn for my broken back and these have helped alot.

Want to get back training, but last time I broke a rib I was in pain for 8 weeks.

daleyboy:
I’ve currently got a broken rib as well. Broke mine 3 weeks ago doing Krav Maga. I’ve carried on working as I can’t afford the time off.

Still hurts a fair bit, but I already take naproxsyn for my broken back and these have helped alot.

Want to get back training, but last time I broke a rib I was in pain for 8 weeks.

‘Krav Maga’
self defence/keeping fit !
Sounds like Self Abuse/keeping unfit. (Rib, Back etc)

Think I’ll stick to’ Krav Cider’
Weight Lifting with my Right Arm.
(If I break that, I can always use a straw)

martinviking:

daleyboy:

‘Krav Maga’
self defence/keeping fit !
Sounds like Self Abuse/keeping unfit. (Rib, Back etc)

Think I’ll stick to’ Krav Cider’
Weight Lifting with my Right Arm.
(If I break that, I can always use a straw)

lol. The broken back was from falling off the top of a walking floor trailer.

The ribs were a silly accident. The first 2 hours is only pad contact and the last 30 minutes is full contact. My mate told me not to get in the ring and at my age I should have listened. But I didn’t and the lad I was fighting is 15 years younger than me the same height 6"8 and the same weight 23 stone, but where I’m slightly relaxed muscle he isn’t.

Have I learned anything? No I will still get in the ring when I’m better again :smiley:

Anyway I’m on 11 days holiday, so I’m off out tonight with all the young people from work, and I will be training in the Krav cider technique followed by Krav dancing. :smiley:

Harry Monk:
I broke two ribs at work this week, I was able to get home as I could drive perfectly well, I just can’t do anything like opening curtains, connecting trailers etc.

Luckily I’m insured for loss of earnings and costs, and as I’m 54 now and have never broken a bone in my life I suppose it was overdue.

I know broken ribs is a fairly common injury, so can somebody give some rough idea of how long it will take to heal to the point where I can carry out work-related activity?

Come on then Harry talk us through what happened :smiley: , I broke one about 12 yrs ago and what i remember it was at least 6 weeks till things were nearly back to normal, just try not to cough or sneeze. :smiley:

bald bloke:

Harry Monk:

Come on then Harry talk us through what happened :smiley: , I broke one about 12 yrs ago and what i remember it was at least 6 weeks till things were nearly back to normal, just try not to cough or sneeze. :smiley:

I can’t really say too much about it at the moment, except that it was caused by third-party equipment failure and that the item in question has been quarantined pending a full investigation this week. Because it is likely that there will be a dispute between two companies as to which is liable then I’d probably be better off not posting details on the internet, although if I bump into you again then I’ll explain it.

Is it worth / are you putting someone else in your truck while you’re off?

m1cks:

I’m not sure. I might do, but at the moment it is insured “named driver only”. I’ll see how things develop in the week, if it looks like I’ll be off work for more than a fortnight then I might have to think about it.

broke a couple of ribs last year-slipped in the shower and landed on the side of the bath.
struggled badly at work for the first week or two,especially as it was in the summer and i suffer very badly from hayfever-every sneeze was agony!!

Harry Monk:
…although if I bump into you again then I’ll explain it.

Well by the sound of it i won’t be bumping into you for a while but get well soon and hopefully you’ll get a happy outcome.

Harry Monk:

m1cks:

I’m not sure. I might do, but at the moment it is insured “named driver only”. I’ll see how things develop in the week, if it looks like I’ll be off work for more than a fortnight then I might have to think about it.

It was just out of curiosity. I was wondering how your customer would react if you couldn’t work for 2 months.
I wouldn’t have thought the insurance co could charge much more as the vehicle won’t be spending additional time on the road and any driver has the same qualification as you. If you get insurance paying out at the same time it’s a win win situation.