Specs or Contact Lenses?

I’ve been wearing glasses for driving for a few years now and I fancy trying contact lenses. Any thoughts, experiences (good or bad) and advice would be welcome. Thanks

dry your eyes out,
uncomfortable if put in wrong,

2x monthly are better I believe you only take em out every 2 weeks

I used to have daily’s, never had a problem, seems you either get on with them or you don’t, the only downside I found was going to sleep with them in and waking up with it hidden at the back of your eye and spending 20 minutes coaxing it to come back :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Give them a go, you have nowt to lose, your optician will advise on the best ones for you.

+1

I used monthly continuos wear ones.

They’ve honest to god changed my life. I wore glasses for 17 years then got a trial of these. Wear them all day and all night. Change them once a month with a rest day (back to glasses) Brilliant

Thanks guys, think I’ll give them a go. Only been wearing glasses 3 or 4 yrs and I hate em.

Definitely recommend contacts. I wear high oxygen ones, take out every night and change after 2 weeks. They’re so much better than glasses, don’t get rained on for a start and you can wear normal sunglasses so you don’t have to keep changing them as the sun goes in and out :smiley:

im going to definitely try these monthlys then

I’ve been using daily contacts for about 5 years now. The are okay, the only downside is I don’t think they are as sharp as glasses and after about 12hrs they start to dry out, other than that they are fine. I’d give them a go and see what you think.

smokinbarrels:
I’ve been using daily contacts for about 5 years now. The are okay, the only downside is I don’t think they are as sharp as glasses and after about 12hrs they start to dry out, other than that they are fine. I’d give them a go and see what you think.

Your optician can give you some eye drops that you can use with contacts when that happens or switch to higher oxygen ones. :slight_smile:

I had to wear glasses when I started driving, put up with it for about 2 years and then, as the others have also put, got extremely fed up of having to keeping switching between glasses and sun glasses. So I took the plunge and took a trial pair of monthly contacts. Initially hated them, couldn’t touch my eyes at all.

But then got used to it and its just second nature now. I have the monthly sort that I take out and clean each night in fluid. Gives your eyes a rest overnight and lets them “breath” so to speak.

Wouldn’t go back to glasses unless I really have to. Never looked back.

I tried contact lenses some years ago and they were great except for one thing, with contact lenses I could see distance great but couldn’t see clearly anything close up so would have to wear reading glasses with contact lenses.

I tried vary-focal contact lenses but everything looked misted over so I ended up sticking with glasses :frowning:

glasses for reading only.

I reckon some out there need Binoculars tough :wink: :wink:

10-08:
Definitely recommend contacts. I wear high oxygen ones, take out every night and change after 2 weeks. They’re so much better than glasses, don’t get rained on for a start and you can wear normal sunglasses so you don’t have to keep changing them as the sun goes in and out :smiley:

+1, only downside with them for me is having to take them out if I want to take a nap on my 45. There’s nowhere hygienic for me to put them back in etc during work, I wish I could get some I can sleep/nap in.

Pimpdaddy:
+1, only downside with them for me is having to take them out if I want to take a nap on my 45. There’s nowhere hygienic for me to put them back in etc during work, I wish I could get some I can sleep/nap in.

This is my trouble, I love the full all round vision I get with contacts and once you’re used to them 15hrs+ is not a problem. (Try mist sprays that work through your eyelids if you experience dryness or just learn to blink more). But as I have astigmatism I cannot use the lenses that allow you to sleep in them. 20 mins nap will result in them stuck very firmly to my eyes, and the discomfort of getting them out is awful. If I intend to nap I must wear glasses.

Pimpdaddy, you can get nice little kits (meant for ladies purses) for storing your lenses in if you can be arsed to take out/put back. This sort of thing Notice the plastic tweezers, meaning you can keep grubby mitts off.

TheMissus:
But as I have astigmatism I cannot use the lenses that allow you to sleep in them. 20 mins nap will result in them stuck very firmly to my eyes, and the discomfort of getting them out is awful. If I intend to nap I must wear glasses.

I have astigmatism too, I guess that’s why they’ve never offered me anything I can sleep in… I tried some blink drops & they were ok but they don’t help with the blurryness unfortunately :frowning:

Pimpdaddy:
I have astigmatism too, I guess that’s why they’ve never offered me anything I can sleep in… I tried some blink drops & they were ok but they don’t help with the blurryness unfortunately :frowning:

Is your blurryness just after a nap (ie lenses have stuck or turned whilst asleep) or all the time?

Did you realise that we can only use our lenses the ‘right’ way up whereas those lucky sods without astigmatism can see clearly from any section of their lenses? If you get intermittent blurryness this can be caused by the lens rotating slightly and just like a telescope knocking your vision out. Often you can gently ease it back into the right place by using your fingertip over your eyelid to twist it, or riskier a (clean) fingertip to actually nudge the lens back. If you’re getting it a lot it could be that your astigmatism has changed and your lenses need altering.

Depending on the level of astigmatism and indeed how bad your eyesight is you may be able to use the sleepable ones, I did try some but I couldn’t see a thing, whipped them out whilst driving and threw them out the window, I had better vision without than with! (I did put my glasses on before anyone has a go!)

TheMissus:
Is your blurryness just after a nap (ie lenses have stuck or turned whilst asleep) or all the time?

Blurry in the right eye, had the prescription altered a bit in the right eye but no difference, had to look far to the right to ‘centre’ it but gets annoying having to do it a lot. I believe my prescription Is mild, I’m said to be legal to drive uncorrected so not worth the hassle…

Pimpdaddy:
Blurry in the right eye, had the prescription altered a bit in the right eye but no difference, had to look far to the right to ‘centre’ it but gets annoying having to do it a lot. I believe my prescription Is mild, I’m said to be legal to drive uncorrected so not worth the hassle…

You may find a different brand of lenses will help that - I use Bausch & Lomb Softlens Toric. They kept putting me on newer ones (B&L Pure H2o or something etc) but all the rest I found rotated too easily whereas usually my ones stay where they should or a quick blink does the trick.

I agree, don’t worry too much yet but maybe ask for samples of different brands/types when you have the time/inclination.

TheMissus:
You may find a different brand of lenses will help that - I use Bausch & Lomb Softlens Toric. They kept putting me on newer ones (B&L Pure H2o or something etc) but all the rest I found rotated too easily whereas usually my ones stay where they should or a quick blink does the trick.

I agree, don’t worry too much yet but maybe ask for samples of different brands/types when you have the time/inclination.

Trialled some own brand 1st & they irritated me big time in a matter of hours, then they let me try some J&J acuvue which seemed way better then I signed up, after a few months they aren’t as comfortable & they’re blurry in 1 eye. I’d like to try some L&Bs, they might work for me…