glycoma

got very early stage of glycoma in right eye whats the rules for future driving

gov.uk/glaucoma-and-driving

tippertom:
got very early stage of glycoma in right eye whats the rules for future driving

Not sure if its just come out the blue for you or if there is family history for it, i’m unsure of any rules on itas such but i have a friend who has a history of it in his family so he has to have eye tests every six months. They’re free under them circumstances. As far as i’m aware its not affected his licence at all so long as he passes them eye tests.

cheers . got family history . just been told on eye drops may operate
in future

This might help… looks like good news…

specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-opt … n-one-eye/

thank you.will look at that. they say if caught early it is possibale to do several things to
help ie monitor with eye drops to bring pressure down drain pressure operation
some type of lazer opjust don’t want it to get anyworse

My mam has this they caught it early she has eye drops every day ( normally on a night ) there is a family history of it I have a free eye test every year when I go tell them there is a history of glycoma & they do check for it so far so good for me

If caught early enough it should be ok with drops but your optician should be able to tell you or the hospital

I wouldn’t inform the DVLA if I was you until you really have to. Just look at my predicament with them tossers in Swansea! :imp:
If you tell them you have the early stages of glycoma I’ve no doubt they will do all they can to take away your livleyhood. All the best for the future anyway.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
I wouldn’t inform the DVLA if I was you until you really have to. Just look at my predicament with them tossers in Swansea! :imp:
If you tell them you have the early stages of glycoma I’ve no doubt they will do all they can to take away your livleyhood. All the best for the future anyway.

Sorry for you on that know what it like had to fight the DVLA medical section twice to get my licence so know how it feels

My wife has had GLAUCOMA for several years now,has been on eye drops and had a couple of operations on one eye to relieve the pressure.
If you wear glasses,when you go for an eye test,the optician does a routine GLAUCOMA test by a puff of air against your eye.
You can have GLAUCOMA as a side effect of diabetes.
I have diabetes but not GLAUCOMA, whereas my wife has GLAUCOMA but not diabetes.
As she does not drive,I don’t know the situation in regard to holding a licence.

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Sorry for you on that know what it like had to fight the DVLA medical section twice to get my licence so know how it feels

Did you have to take them to court or did you get it back before it came to that?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

animal:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Did you have to take them to court or did you get it back before it came to that?

After a long fight & a little bit economical I did receive it back

It has all been documented on here

Can you post the link up mate? Thanks.

I have exactly that - glaucoma in right eye only - have had it for over 20 years

I have all my licences but am usually subject to a short term LGV for 3 years

That means every 3 years I have to sit the DVLA visual field test - usually get near to 100% because it is done with both eyes open

As I am a permanent out patient with my local hospital eye dept then I have the test done there and send DVLA a copy - copy at my local hospital must be asked for in advance but that’s no issue

When it was first diagnosed I was put on eye drops but in the end none worked so I have the ‘shunt’ op in 2000

No increase in glaucoma problems since that op but it has put the ye slightly out of true - ok with both eyes open but using right eye only means I have minor difficulty in distance clarity

Are you diabetic? :imp: glaucoma is tested by a puff of air into your eye! :cry:

Hi,
I too have Glaucoma and have had it for about 12 years. My optician told me to inform the DVlA ,which I did. When my next HGV medical became due I had to do a DVLA visual fields test,which you do with both eyes open. A short term licence was then issued for 3 years. This was the procedure for me until I retired at 65 . I then renewed my licence again ,taking the same tests but this time ,of course ,my licence was only for a year, I am at present undecided whether to renew again,mainly because of the DCPC malarkey.
Up to the present time the Glaucoma has been treated with eye drops morning and night and I was very lucky that my optician spotted it at a very early stage.
Best of luck with your treatment in the future and don’t be afraid to press for hospital appointments, this seems to be an area where hospitals aren’t averse to cancelling or delaying appointments. It’syour eyesight , look after it.

Cheers Bassman

Bassman:
Hi,
I too have Glaucoma and have had it for about 12 years. My optician told me to inform the DVlA ,which I did. When my next HGV medical became due I had to do a DVLA visual fields test,which you do with both eyes open. A short term licence was then issued for 3 years. This was the procedure for me until I retired at 65 . I then renewed my licence again ,taking the same tests but this time ,of course ,my licence was only for a year, I am at present undecided whether to renew again,mainly because of the DCPC malarkey.
Up to the present time the Glaucoma has been treated with eye drops morning and night and I was very lucky that my optician spotted it at a very early stage.
Best of luck with your treatment in the future and don’t be afraid to press for hospital appointments, this seems to be an area where hospitals aren’t averse to cancelling or delaying appointments. It’syour eyesight , look after it.

Cheers Bassman

I’ve had to do both the Esterman and Goldmanns visual field test for my retinal tears and detached retina. I’m still waiting for the results from the DVLA for my Goldmanns field test, next stage is court if I’m not satisfied with the outcome.

Hi SBT
I don’t know the name of the visual test that I had to take. I know it was an easier test with using both eyes than the visual at the Glaucoma clinic where you can only use one eye at a time. I also know that the DVLA only have one working speed, slow, everything is so longwinded but I got the benefit of having my licence extended by a couple of months each time by the time the letters stopped and the licence came.
I saw your posts on your struggle earlier and you are right to fight, this is the DVLA at it’s worst, keep at 'em.

Cheers Bassman

its a worry to be told u have glycoma but if they monitor it from now on
hopefully I can keep driving lots of people worse off
have to keep poss

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
Can you post the link up mate? Thanks.

There are really quote a few & a lot of info but you can luck them up in here if you so wish