Ingrowing toenail?

I’ve got an ingrowing toenail on my nearside big toe.

It’s gone bad so I’ve been to the docs today and got some antibiotics. He said come back when the infection has gone and he’ll remove it.

My doctor is of the exotic variety; funny accent and all that.

I asked him what he’d be removing. “Nail”, he said.

I asked him if I’d be okay wearing my work boots and going to work afterwards. “In time”, he laughed.

I asked him how much time. “Couple weeks”, he said. “Don’t worry, I give note”, he added.

The thing is, I’m the sort of bloke that would still try and go to work if I’d just had both legs blown off by a land mine… even though I get full sick pay.

Will I be able to get me boot on and go to work after I’ve had it removed?

You’d need some clowns boots to fit over the bandages lol

I’ve got an infected toe at the moment and its agony. Had another driver with me so couldn’t even take my boots off at lunchtime as the smell is unreal. Hope yours gets sorted soon.

I suffer fairly regularly from I growing nails and have had both big toenails removed two or three times. It ■■■■■■■ hurts. I would be surprised if you went to work the same day. But book an appt for Friday and you’ll be good to go after the weekend as long as you’re not in and out all day on parcels or something.

They’re horrible things I growing nails and I wouldn’t wish it on anyway. Hope it’s better soon.

If you can stand the pain you can treat it yourself without the need to remove the nail. Cut and pull the in growing portion out and the cut a V into the middle of the nail (into the nail bed this ■■■■■■■ hurts) the nail ought not to ingrow again

i suffered with that problem for years , the solution i found was to thin the nail with a file , the pressure will go inwards , sometimes the nail will split slightly in the centre , but it stops the ingrowing . i still do it but i’m fat and lazy now so i use a dremel with a sanding wheel .

Thanks for the replies.

I’m on a course of Flucloxacillin which has made my toe better but given me terrible stomach ache.

I think I’ll try and take Tipper Tom’s advice and get an appointment for last thing on a Friday to get it removed… although I’ve probably got more chance of platting ■■■■ seeing as my doctors surgery is permanently clogged up with OAPs and teenage mothers with sickly children.

Contraflow:
Thanks for the replies.

although I’ve probably got more chance of platting ■■■■ seeing as my doctors surgery is permanently clogged up with OAPs and teenage mothers with sickly children.

They all seem to be lately. Since the last government ■■■■■■ up with the removal of personal GPs for everyone it’s meant loads more waiting for fewer appointments

i’m a pensioner but i totally agree with you . i only go for my 6 month checkup , but it is always the same faces . middle aged glass backs with the obligatory walking stick , ■■■■■■■■ people ditto and overweight young mothers with several snivelling kids .

Back in the early 80’s I was doing my recruits course and was suffering badly with an ingrown toenail it was agony but I was not going to give up.
So on a beer fuelled night of madness in the NAFFI (about the only night off on the course) we got back the billet and we decided the nail needed to go, the lads got me a bit more drunk and hacked at it with tweezers and a little file then one guy just yanked it off. I have never squealed like a baby like it and invented new swear words, blood was every where.
After a day off the next day other than a throbbing and bloody socks for a week or so it never gave me that much grief.

Even now the nail still grows but drops off after a few weeks :unamused: :laughing:

So, I had the nail removed on Tuesday afternoon.

I turned up at the doctors in my work clothes and boots.

“Have you just finished work?” asked my exotic doctor.

“No. I’ll be going straight back when we’re done here.” I replied. :sunglasses:

A shocked look appeared on his face. :open_mouth:

“Many patient need week maybe two.” He said.

A long discussion ensued.

Eventually he was convinced that I’d be okay to be at the controls of an automatic HGV minus my nearside big toenail. :unamused:

Despite three injections of local anaesthetic into my toe, it still [zb]ing hurt when he pulled it out.

I might have let out a little whimper.

I was back at work within half an hour though and have had no problem carrying out my sedentary duties since.

Contraflow:
I might have let out a little whimper.

I screamed my head off :blush:

Glad its sorted :wink:

I was delivering bathroom suites a couple of years ago. I dropped a toilet on my big toe and broke it. I swore and cried, but drove back to the yard and went home. London-Rugby!

I had the same problem on my right foot, tried having the edges cut then third time it had to go completely. I was off for over 4 weeks & dispute having a sick note etc I ended up losing my job as a result. A tiny bit still grows but overall I don’t have any problems.

My doctor told me to have a hot bath.Then with the flesh soft,push out the nail to take the pressure off.A blunt knife was used.