Marriage / partnership failures

Many Drivers seem to be single, following a failed marriage or partnership.

I wonder if failures involving Drivers are higher than the national average.

Long, irregular hours and nights away don’t seem to help.

I think it’s more to do with many drivers personality…

I don’t think its any worse than for other industries (well those that are left) that see men, mainly, working excessive hours often including only going home either for a weekend or leave of sorts, or too often basically just to eat and sleep when its been a 15 hour day, no worse i suspect than for oil rig workers and other shift type workers.

The problem with lorry driver mentality (and too many men in general) is that they are only impressed by the skin deep packaging, its inside the packaging is what really counts…this could apply equally to their choice of partners or indeed what they want in a lorry… :smiling_imp: …marry in haste repent at leisure.

Another problem with lorry drivers is that in a high number of cases they are simply miserable buggers, go on think of the blokes you work with, Jesus wept 5 minutes listening to some of the whining buggers is more than enough yet others you work with always remain cheerful, then imagine of you were a decent woman, would you really be looking forward to welcoming some of those miserable sods home, thats if they actually go home before the pub chucks out.

Why should a good woman…and they are about i’m a lucky one…bother any more to care about being a good wife when shes taken entirely for granted and plays second fiddle to a pint of beer and/or footy, she’s not your skivvy waitress chief cook and bottle washer, she’s your wife and lover treat her as such and enjoy her for there is always another bloke who can see what the blinkered cannot.

Juddian:
I don’t think its any worse than for other industries (well those that are left) that see men, mainly, working excessive hours often including only going home either for a weekend or leave of sorts, or too often basically just to eat and sleep when its been a 15 hour day, no worse i suspect than for oil rig workers and other shift type workers.

The problem with lorry driver mentality (and too many men in general) is that they are only impressed by the skin deep packaging, its inside the packaging is what really counts…this could apply equally to their choice of partners or indeed what they want in a lorry… :smiling_imp: …marry in haste repent at leisure.

Another problem with lorry drivers is that in a high number of cases they are simply miserable buggers, go on think of the blokes you work with, Jesus wept 5 minutes listening to some of the whining buggers is more than enough yet others you work with always remain cheerful, then imagine of you were a decent woman, would you really be looking forward to welcoming some of those miserable sods home, thats if they actually go home before the pub chucks out.

Why should a good woman…and they are about i’m a lucky one…bother any more to care about being a good wife when shes taken entirely for granted and plays second fiddle to a pint of beer and/or footy, she’s not your skivvy waitress chief cook and bottle washer, she’s your wife and lover treat her as such and enjoy her for there is always another bloke who can see what the blinkered cannot.

This!!!

Too many people elect to place “access to credit” higher than “maintaining their marriage”.

If you have a serious marriage therefore, you’ll MAKE it work because everything and anything else in life will be sacrificed to make it so.
This household doesn’t waste money on interest payments beyond the mortgage. If I can’t pay cash, I go without. More importantly, so does everyone else in the house as well!
Thus, Dad isn’t forced to work 5-6-5-6 forever just to pay for my wife and kids mobile phone, salon, gym, and fancy clothing bills.

I blame marriage breakups where the Woman asks for divorce on “not being able to go without when required”.
I blame blokes leaving their wives on "threw it all away for a bit of skirt/favourite hobby/footy trip with the mates and other such trivialities. :wink:

I don’t think being a truck driver makes any great difference either way, it just seems to be the way of the world nowadays. The queen has four children, three of whom are divorced. If a couple can’t be contented when they are part of one of the world’s richest families then why would wage slaves fare any better?

Juddian:

Dear Marjorie…

Sorry! Couldn’t resist. :wink:

Harry Monk:
I don’t think being a truck driver makes any great difference either way, it just seems to be the way of the world nowadays. The queen has four children, three of whom are divorced. If a couple can’t be contented when they are part of one of the world’s richest families then why would wage slaves fare any better?

Why would money make a difference? My grandparents were married for 50 years and they had root of ■■■■ all until later in life.

I dont think it is just drivers either, many reps are away from home from Monday morning until Friday night living out of a car and suitcase in travelodges and premier inns. My neighbour goes away at around 6am and returns 5 days later, her partner works shifts, so they hardly see each other.

Publicans seem to have one of the biggest number of marital breakdown, either through jealousy, or popping off with one or two of the customers, or maybe even working in too close a proximity for very long hours. Much longer than drivers hours.

I’ve worked away since me and the mrs were both teenagers and it works well for us, I think the problems would start if I was at home constantly :laughing: :laughing: .

No one’s blamed Stobarts yet….

Herongate:
No one’s blamed Stobarts yet….

its all stobarts fault

No one seems to think women are the problem. No respect and the good ones want the bad boys which means there are no good ones for the ones that want to treat them with respect. We get treated like crap at work and we don’t need it at home too. Until someone nice comes along then work comes first. I will change my priorities when i meet someone worth changing them for. If that ever happens!

I agree with winseer. I don’t think it’s just the job that causes the problems. I’m engaged and although home every night some times I’m just in, showered and off to bed. I’m 26 and probably don’t live the most exciting off life’s compared to my mates. However my mrs see’s the bigger picture. I work hard and look after what I earn, I have no credit apart from a mortgage if we cant pay cash for it we don’t have it and luckily she accepts this. we are looking at something bigger to start a family so it’s long hours, no flash holidays and a night out once a month instead off all weekend. I’m lucky so that she’s a grafter and not a free loader. My ex on the other hand picked the place I have now with her mum before I knew about it. Next thing I’m 21 and throwing all my savings into buying it just for her to ■■■■ off 8 months later because she couldn’t handle not going abroad twice a year, getting ■■■■■■ with our friends all weekend and having anything she wanted when we went shopping. Now I don’t reckon it mattered what job I done, or what hours she wouldn’t off been happy regardless because our 6 year relationship ended because I couldn’t afford her. If you have someone worth keeping make sure you let them know there worth keeping. And when you got a good one like mine she won’t care what you do for a job or how much you can buy her and if it all goes wrong I don’t think it will be because off my choice off career but more the fact I’ve been an arse!.

Household money spent wrongly, or ■■■ spent wrongly. Marriages therefore based on ■■■ and money. Not good. :frowning:

There are not many couples who can survive going broke together, or both sides cheating at least once.

Those that do survive, will be married for life as was originally intended of this great institution. :wink:

i’ve been married 50 years next week , done the whole thing . long hours , nights out , weeks away for over 40 years . my wife accepted it as a way to have a decent living standard and a good upbringing for the kids . you both have to accept and understand what you are doing and why you are doing it . work was never mentioned in our house , home was home and work had no place there . time at home was to enjoy our family life . the only hiccup was when i decided to do only local work , she was quite put out at having me home every night and upsetting her routine . i count myself lucky that i got a good woman who put up with everything through thick and thin . wouldn’t swap her for the world !!

It to an extent cost me a relationship but we were both drivers at the time so he did know what he was letting himself in for

He got the strong independent woman that he wanted but when he got it decided that he didnt really want it as I looked after my money as well as sorting out the household bills yep he did contribute but he never seemed to have money even though he was actually earning more than me

So will stay single thanks unless there is a man out there that will / can put up with me being away all week

animal:
It to an extent cost me a relationship but we were both drivers at the time so he did know what he was letting himself in for

He got the strong independent woman that he wanted but when he got it decided that he didnt really want it as I looked after my money as well as sorting out the household bills yep he did contribute but he never seemed to have money even though he was actually earning more than me

So will stay single thanks unless there is a man out there that will / can put up with me being away all week

With you on that one, would rather stay single and live my life how i like it rather than be misrable in a relationship.

My marriage finally broke up in march this year. Just drifted apart had been bad the last couple of years.
Really crap going through it all ended up on anti depressants and having counciling which helped with a lot of issues I had but things are getting better now but not the job that caused it.

animal:

there is always someone for everyone, its just a case of finding that person.
I just wished I could meet someone that can put up with me being away all week.
Good luck in finding your mr right, he’s out there somewhere.