Sciatica and driving

i have about 2 months till i get my hgv licence i have started to display symptoms of sciatica dull pain in right leg below the knee will this effect me gettng a licence due to having epilespsy in past i have had to wait 10 years before getting behind wheel and i want nothing to stop me

sciatica is just trapped nerves do some physio it will clear
shouldn’t be a problem with license

I was just about to put up a post on sciatica,as I had a bad do about 4 years ago,the worst pain I have ever experienced,bar none!
At it’s worst,it was like a hot wire from my arse cheek right down to my big toe.
After seeing the doc,the only help he gave was prescriptions for pain killers,and it was only when I was directed to a walk in physio that I learned what the problem is,and how to cure it.
It is usually caused when one of the discs between your vertibrae ruptures and traps the sciatic nerve at the base of your spine.
Apart from pain killers,the only recognised physio is doing press ups,but keep your hips on the floor.The idea is to open up the vertibrae to allow the disc to retract back between the vertibrae.
Do 10 of these pressups as many times a day as you can find time for.
I always have the lumbar support on my truck driving seat on full to arch my spine while at work.
There is no magic moment,no click and it’s back to normal,it took me 18 months to get over it last time,and ever since then,I’ve had pins and needles in my foot that wont go away.
I’ve taken much care in doing things since then and I’ve managed to do some quite heavy work,but out of the blue,I had a twinge in my back on Monday,and now it’s spread to my arse cheek and thigh,so I know what it is.
But now I’m ahead of the game knowing more than I did last time,and I’ve already started my physio in the hope that I can halt this before it gets any worse.
From my experience,sciatica starts from your spine and works it’s way down,if you have a pain started in your lower leg,I’d be surprised if it’s sciatica.
I had to have a medical when my sciatica was at it’s worst,and I told the doc,and he was most sympathetic and didn’t have me doing the “Touch your toes” routine.

Well bugger me,as if we had not had enough cases of sciatica,my boy came home from his new job on Tuesday and had a job to get out of his car.
By the time he managed to get upstairs and undressed he was on his hands and knees in agony, exactly the same symptons I went through when I had my introduction to it.
It took an hour for him to get into bed and he was in tears of pain.
With knowing as much about it as anyone, I got him to lie on his back with my foam roll under the base of his back, mum filled him up with pain killers and he got through the night.
The next morning he intended getting up and going to work, he’s only been in this job four weeks and he does not want to lose it.
Well it took an hour to get him dressed, and it took 10 minutes for him to struggle into my car to take him into work.
The management at his place of work were fantastic and very understanding.
I said he could not possibly perform his duties as he was, so I offered to do his days work in his place and they were really taken aback and most appreciative.
I took him home and put him in my reclining chair with a lumbar support and some pain killers then went out and did his 9 hour
shift, collecting palletised goods from around Stoke and as far as Brum.
Mum phoned the docs for some advice, and the receptionist passed on the docs advice, plenty of pain killers! ■■■■ all about physio!
The firm said they had a couple of retired drivers they call in to cover sick or holiday cover so they did not want me today, but did say for him not to worry about his job, now ain’t that nice?
Yesterday he was in tears just walking down the stairs, taking ten minutes, today he has been up and down stairs quite a few times, slowly but with much less pain.
My son is so much better today, as a result of the physio more than the pain killers, and he feels quite confident that if he makes as much progress over the weekend as he has over this last 24 hours, he can be back at work on Monday, nothing too strenuous though!

I have a lumbar support cushion for driving. I know physio helps but the best thing for me was swimming, breats stroke is the best. I hardly get any trouble now but whenI can feel it starting up again I try to go for a swim.

bestbooties:
I was just about to put up a post on sciatica,as I had a bad do about 4 years ago,the worst pain I have ever experienced,bar none!
At it’s worst,it was like a hot wire from my arse cheek right down to my big toe.
After seeing the doc,the only help he gave was prescriptions for pain killers,and it was only when I was directed to a walk in physio that I learned what the problem is,and how to cure it.
It is usually caused when one of the discs between your vertibrae ruptures and traps the sciatic nerve at the base of your spine.
Apart from pain killers,the only recognised physio is doing press ups,but keep your hips on the floor.The idea is to open up the vertibrae to allow the disc to retract back between the vertibrae.
Do 10 of these pressups as many times a day as you can find time for.
I always have the lumbar support on my truck driving seat on full to arch my spine while at work.
There is no magic moment,no click and it’s back to normal,it took me 18 months to get over it last time,and ever since then,I’ve had pins and needles in my foot that wont go away.
I’ve taken much care in doing things since then and I’ve managed to do some quite heavy work,but out of the blue,I had a twinge in my back on Monday,and now it’s spread to my arse cheek and thigh,so I know what it is.
But now I’m ahead of the game knowing more than I did last time,and I’ve already started my physio in the hope that I can halt this before it gets any worse.
From my experience,sciatica starts from your spine and works it’s way down,if you have a pain started in your lower leg,I’d be surprised if it’s sciatica.
I had to have a medical when my sciatica was at it’s worst,and I told the doc,and he was most sympathetic and didn’t have me doing the “Touch your toes” routine.

Have suffered with the same problem for a number of years and totally agree with what has been said.
The only way to keep it “in check” is to do do the stretching exercises at the first sign of it making a comeback.
I find that having the shower as hot as you can stand it ,spraying on the lower back helps.
Pain killers are a no no for me as the make me constipated - not a pleasant experience combined with a bout of sciatica :neutral_face: