quitting

im looking to quit smoking and was wondering if anyone here has recently stopped and what you used to help you through it whilst driving on a daily basis,im not a big smoker and I can usually make 10 last me about a day but ive been smoking for over 20 years, I also don’t want to pile on any extra weight which is one of my worries if I do quit so any help or advice from any of you truckers who have quit would be greatly appreciated… :grimacing:

alrite there, iv been on an e cig for just on 6mths feel great just charge in cig socket i use the tobacco flavour as it tricks me into thinking im smoking as i did really enjoy but this gizmo is great fifty quid the kit was

I used the nicorett inhalator (sp?) they have little capsules in you can change but no smoke. Worked well for me as the patches made me puke and the gum is rancid.

Champex tablets (think that’s how you spell it)get them from your doc,I was smokein 40 a day until takein the tablets,that was two years ago now.you have to want to stop smokin if you don’t then nothing will work.good luck

I agree, champix are the best. six years ago i was on 20 a day in the cab and maybe another 10 or 15 when i got home. took champix and smoked for the first week as instructed, puffing away like a steam train, on the 8th day i woke up( i was on a 4pm start, trailer swapping at crick) went to work, stopped for my break at corley services on my way back to south wales and realised i had,nt had a ■■■ all day !!!

this was at 10 pm !!

this sounds ridiculous but it made me forget i smoked. the next time i thought about a ciggy a week had passed. taking into account that the missus still smoked for two weeks after i packed up before she started on champix. We ALWAYS had smoked at the same time throughout the years.

as i say 6 years later both still non smokers.

thx for the replies guys I will look at trying those champix from the doctors…if I can get in… :laughing:

I downloaded the nhs smoke free app.You put in what you smoke a day and it adds up the cash you save. So far I’m up to, 132 days and have saved £811.30. I managed to go cold turkey. It was nails for the first month but I just kept looking at money I saved and thought if I have one then I’ll have to reset my app! It worked for me mate. Now, I get the odd urge but the feeling goes as quick as it comes. It’s all in your head mate, remember this saying “he who conquers self is mightier than he who conquers village” good luck!

I’m on the same as you Iceman, I’m on the e-cig, I tried a tobacco one (via a tester in the shop) and didn’t like it so I’m using other flavours instead. Not had a ciggie since 7.30 last Wednesday night and not missing the actual smoking one bit. I know using them isn’t physically quitting but just to let everyone know all there is in the juice (unless of course you’ve worked your way down to the 0mg) is the nicotine but I’ll get down to the 0mg eventually.

I quit a few years ago but a mate of mine is in the process, hes using them e cigs too and he cant speak highly enough of them!

I just went cold turkey, 2 weeks now. It’s hard work but I just kept busy

Another vote for the electric ■■■. I’ve been on a nicolite for 3 months and not had a proper ■■■ since. Brilliant and cheaper

i used champix 3-4 years ago worked wonders but due to personal issues i have started again it was either have a ■■■ or kill someone i was having cravings recently

There is a book by Allen Carr, Easyway to stop smoking - work for me - took a couple of goes - you can even keep smoking while reading it. It’s boring as hell but works.

This appears to be a free download of it

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

good luck
Gareth

Niquitin mints are good aswell