Sleep Apnoea - my personal experience

And here is my story. I had been away on holiday for a month last year, and on my return it was time to renew my licences, so had the medical and sent the paperwork off, DVLA wrote to me to say i had S/A which was news to me, so i phoned them up to explain, that although i have had a sleep problem, i have never been diagnosed with anything, usual questions had been asked by the doctor such as, are you depressed etc, then take these pills and let me know how you get on with them, they were too strong, so just stopped taking them, i might add that a few years previous, i had been to St Thomass hospital in London for a sleep test, only to be told that although i am very restless during the night, there was nothing they could do. Anyway, DVLA asked me to put in writing about my not having S/A. So they eventually returned my licences after 6 months of wrangling, and i thought that was that. I went to the doctor on a routine visit, and mentioned my constant tiredness, and i asked to be referred to the sleep clinic, i saw a consultant who, after looking at the forms i had to fill in, stated he thought i had S/A. So this week i had to collect a watch type device that i wear at night for 2 nights, this watch has a wire that fits onto my finger, whilst talking to the nurse who was explaining how it works, i mentioned the fact i am a HGV driver, although now retired, but would like to work part time, if i felt fresh in the mornings after restless nights, ( i actually fell like ive been up all night and its time for bed ) anyway, i told her that I suppose they would refer my case to the DVLA, and she said Not yet, but there wont be a problem if your receiving treatment for it im not really bothered all that much anymore, as i have not worked for 9 months anyway, but my car licence is important, and she did put my mind at rest. I only have a 2 day test, and have to return the watchby 1pm on Thursday, and then i have to wait 3 months to see the consultant for the outcome or diagnosis. I know a few people who have been given a face mask ( oxygen ) and it has changed their lives, so thats what i am hoping for. A few years ago, i did have an operation on my throat ( sleep related ) but i was told that this operation is not done anymore because it does not work, ( funny really, cos my daughter has just had it done ) i was also told that they are a lot closer to understanding S/A, andtimes are changing` Anyway, i just booked my flight for my usual month away in my apartment by the sea, so hopefully, when i return, i can do the follow ups, and hopefully, start to get a decent nights sleep, and i hope that all drivers out there, who are suffering sleepless nights, get the treatment they so deserve.