Butter or healthy option?

My Father In Law who is almost 80 had a brief spell in hospital and had a good chat to a dietitian who basically said having this so-called healthy flora on his toast and in his sandwiches is a complete myth and the sooner he gets back to good old butter the better. Apparently the Flora stuff is full of lots of additives and the like and real butter is good old natural ingredients, so we’ve just changed back to butter.
What about you lot out there what spread are you having ?

Marg is one molecule off plastic.I won’t touch it. Buy some and leave it open in the shed. Nothing will touch it,spiders flies mice nothing,it doesn’t even go mouldy! It just losers a little colour but scrape the top of and it’s good as new. I’ve had some open in our garage for years and its still the same lol. I’ll take some pics when i get back.

Shoshaye:
Marg is one molecule off plastic

I read somewhere that in its natural colour it would be grey :open_mouth: and obviously then they put the colour in to make it more of a butter colour.

bald bloke:
My Father In Law who is almost 80 had a brief spell in hospital and had a good chat to a dietitian who basically said having this so-called healthy flora on his toast and in his sandwiches is a complete myth and the sooner he gets back to good old butter the better. Apparently the Flora stuff is full of lots of additives and the like and real butter is good old natural ingredients, so we’ve just changed back to butter.
What about you lot out there what spread are you having ?

The missus is a Doctor , 27 yrs and a consultant, and she wont let the kids or me anywhere near the " healthy " stuff…it is NOT heathy in her opinion.

I read something in waiting room magazine recently saying much the same thing . :smiley: …besides butter tastes nicer :smiley:

Nick abbott on LBC says ‘if your grandmother wouldn’t recognise it as food don’t go anywhere near it’. I think he’s got a point!
turn over a tub of any ‘spread’ and try and read the ingredients, if you know any of them you are doing well

Flora for me

I was told that about artificial spread, by a surgeon in Ireland years ago. Real butter. End of!

Real irish butter is the only way forward.

Butter.

Not lots of it, mind, but definitely butter.

The proof is in the pudding, since I started Slimming World in February. I haven’t touched any of this Carol Vorderperson stuff, only used pure butter, it tastes much nicer and although I do have to use a little rather than a lot. I do enjoy it. As a former tanker driver who has carried an awful lot of edible oils into and out of refineries. I wouldn’t eat Margarine if I had any choice, the places used to stink. I would prefer lard on my butties.

Five Half Lamps.JPG

There was a thing on the TV about it recently where they weighed up butter or one of the spreads. The experts were saying about the healthy options being crammed full of addititives to make it “healthy” For me, it’s good butter (currently waitrose Guernsey butter) but not too much of it. As my lovely late Mother used to say, enjoy everything but enjoy it in moderation. If I can just master the moderation bit I should be OK :slight_smile:

BB

Anchor spreadable…it’s just got that taste to it which wants you wanting more and more. Am sure though it’s processed to ■■■■■

has to be butter, preferably Lurpak (but Tesco butterpak is just as nice)

Butter all the way for me!

I changed back to butter after reading this thread last year :slight_smile:

Anchor Butter for me, though I do have too much :unamused:
(that’s why I’m on a diet now :cry: & given up the Booze :cry: :cry: :cry: )

I’ve avoided processed foods all my adult life. I eat red meat, butter, cream, etc and my cholesterol is 3.7 with bad fats being virtually non existent and good fats being bang on.
My dad was of the generation that embraced all the cholesterol " lowering " spreads. He tried the lot but his cholesterol was so high he was on elephant doses of statins.

I’ve come to the conclusion that we evolved to eat this natural diet but that when we pollute our bodies with plastic, synthetic stuff we cause illness.

dozy:
Flora for me

and that’s just his shirt :wink: