Secure truck parking *HELP*

Hi guys,

I am a Safety and Security student in Den Haag acting as consultant to a major online retailer. My focus is on the use of secure parking across Europe and I would like to know from truck drivers whether or not you use these?

What are your reasons for doing so or not doing? And what do you look for when looking for parking? Do you get any incentive from making use of these locations and are there enough in your opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Lewis

i have driven in most European countries and depending what area you were in when the breaks had to be taken was the deciding factor, 80% of the time it was just a case of following simple rules, safety in numbers, don’t park alone, do not fuel last thing at night, keep enough in to get an early start, an early start cant happen if you lose your fuel, consider who is parked already, can you see the truck from the restaurant, never just park and walk away from the front of the truck, I walk to the rear looking at the various things like securing straps tyers etc and walk away out of site along the backs of trucks, who knows if you have actually walked away, never talk about your load even among friends, walls have ears, even secure parking suffers from lone drivers, if regular trips most medium companies would if asked, offer parking if space is available, some hauliers in associations consider members parking in their yards, I hope this helps, but at the end of the day if they have come for your truck there is not much you can do.
as an aside we are off to the den helder historisch weekend at the end of the month so if you know of any interesting truck or industrial museums along the way I would like to know of them, alan.