Renewing your HGV entitlement

Didn’t realise that it’s only a month before my licence runs out and I have not received my renewal docs,thought I’d give the DVLA a call.
Easier said than done,I was able to find this number to contact the DVLSA.
0300 790 6801
I got onto an automated roundabout that only got me into a state of mind to throw the 'phone out of the ■■■■■■■ window!
Searching further,I found that you can download the form D4 from this link:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … /DG_201207

Scroll down to,“Drivers over 45 years old” and click on<

Download ‘medical examination report’ - D4 (PDF, 211K)

Further searching found this link that you can use to order form D2,which is now used for licence renewal:

dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineserv … spx?ext=dg

Fill in your details and click on ,“D2 pack”.
I received this in the next days post.
Just got to book my medical now,(£30-00 round here),then I’m back on course.

Many thanks for the links.
Mine runs out soon and I have used them.

Regards,
Nick.

hi how early can you apply for a renewal mine runs out in sept would rather get it done as soon as i can ,

We are told that your renewal documents will be with you 54 days before the expiry of your licence,so anything under 54 days I would take things into your own hands.
As I said,I was down to one month and had heard nothing,and attempting to phone them was a waste of time and money,when the forms are able to be downloaded,now when I can get everything completed and in the post,it’s out of my hands,we know from past experience that the return of your licence can be anything,but if you’ve done your part,then the jobsworths at the DVLA can take as long as they like.

rabf1234,
You can practice by downloading the forms now,then if you hear nothing from the DVLA at least you are on top of things and you can get things moving.

Note that you need a colour printer.

Got my eye test done last week at the opticians just to be sure my specs are OK when I go for my medical which is booked for tomorrow.
Also saw the nurse to get the results of my blood test,(To monitor my Type 2 diabetes),and as usual,I’m now below diabetic levels due to having lost one stone in weight a couple of years ago.
Got home from work today and guess what the postman has delivered,yes,the D4 and D47P.
Now if I’d waited for them to arrive before I booked my medical,my entitlement would have expired before I could have got them in the post!
These medicals don’t half come around quick when you have one every year don’t they?
Hopefully if I pass this time that will take me up to 70,let’s see how I feel then!

Hi bestbooties,
like you I was under the impression that the entitlement lasted 5 years. HOWEVER, after I retired last September at 65, my licence for wagons and buses expired in May this year and I was VERY surprised to find out that you need to have it renewed EVERY YEAR after that, including having a medical!
I thought it was only after 70 that it had to be done every year. Shows how wrong we can be!

Regarding the eyesight part of the medical, last time I was at the opticians I mentioned it to her and she told me two things I wasn’t aware of
1 If you cannot see the required distance without your spectacles it doesn’t affect your application if you’ve held your licence since before said rule came in , i.e grandfather rights .
2.If you need to wear spectacles to drive you must carry a spare pair with you at all times (hgv only not car )
I haven’t checked either statement , I await your comments gentlemen .
Jim

Had my medical last evening and surprise,surprise,I passed.
The one thing I had any doubts about was my eyes,but in fact the quack said my eyes were better this year than last year,with the same glasses!
That could be down to the fact that during my eye test last week,the optician told me to keep blinking during the test as I have dry eyes.
You’d be surprised how much difference this makes,so I called in Boots and got some Optrex rehydrating drops,maybe that’s why I did so well on my medical?
This morning I scanned all my documents and licences before I put them in the envelope,then posted them as recorded delivery,don’t want them to$$ers at Swansea saying they’ve been delayed/lost in the post.

Don’t forget to photo copy your license as proof of your entitlement. DVLA are hopeless and will insist you take another test if THEY lose it. :unamused:

That includes the card. :sunglasses:

I took all my papers to a local DVLA office, they checked everything gave me a
receipt and told me it should be done in 15 working days.

We shall see…

berewic:
Don’t forget to photo copy your license as proof of your entitlement. DVLA are hopeless and will insist you take another test if THEY lose it. :unamused:

That includes the card. :sunglasses:

That’s why I scanned EVERYTHING.

Just when I thought it was all over,I’d posted of my completed D4 and D47P and licences on recorded delivery on 4th July.Today I received,dated 4th July,a brown envelope from the DVLA with a new D4 and D2 with a letter thanking me for informing them of the non delivery of my reminder!.
I am assuming this is in reply to my letter of 10 days ago to,“The correspondence team”!
(The D2 is for a first driving licence,but can also be used to renew a licence or entitlement.A D47P is purely for the renewal of licence or entitlement).
With only just over a week to go before my entitlement runs out they were not giving me much time!
Anyway,now I have a set of documents well in time for next year!